Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
up to 1 gigabit fiber NOW available in Orchidland!
Fiber service is now available:

1 gig (1000Mbps u/l) $94.95
500 Mbps (50 u/l) $47.95
300 (50 u/l) $54.95
100 (20) $34.95
50 (3) $29.95
20 (3) $24.95
15 (1) $19.95
11 (1) $14.95
7 NOT AVAILABLE ON FIBER

Prices are guaranteed for 3 years. No contract. After 3 years prices could go up, or they could have another pricing structure or promotion in place by then. No penalty for going down in speed for lower prices at any time. At least this is what they told me.

So if you were paying $44.95 for 7 Mbps service like I was, upgrade to 100 Mbps and pay only $34.95!

Our installation is scheduled for their earliest available date (December), so hurry up or you'll be looking at getting service next year.
Meanwhile, back in Leilani... stuck with 7mb down.. 768k up...
Fern acres has got it too. My friend Helen lives on Pikake way down at the end and she's scheduled for hookup "this" month.
Thanks to Hawaii Telecom eden rock has it to . As of Tuesday 3 week plus wait to get hook up.

jrw
jrw
DSL and Fiber are two different things. One goes over the POTS copper infrastructure over the last mile, and other goes directly to the house via fiber-optic cable.
i'm confused. will they run fiber to each house, or just to junction boxes in the subdivision, and let the existing POTS service the house? or some combination of both?
GPON backbone, your house gets some kind of ONT, some variants of the ONT include VoIP and/or WiFi, for example the D-Link DPN-R5402. There's also outdoor ONT hardware shaped like a NID.

Perhaps the first person to get theirs will post a description of the hardware.
They tried to upsell a "wifi plus" option for an additional $5/month. It sounded like some snake oil I could do myself (I already fixed their crappy wifi modem problem by adding my own router) so I declined. Anybody else have input on "wifi plus" ?
With the Hawaiian Tel Fiber they've installed at my house (I have the 100mb package with phone service for about $60) they ran fiber from the pole to the house/route for the service. There is a router, the house copper (phone lines) ties into that via a little box which must make the copper phone lines compatible with the Fiber-connected router, and computers can connect with wifi or ethernet to the router. Seems great so far.
quote:
Originally posted by seekir

There is a router, the house copper (phone lines) ties into that via a little box which must make the copper phone lines compatible with the Fiber-connected router, and computers can connect with wifi or ethernet to the router. Seems great so far.

Oceanic Time Warner Cable's digital phone service has a similar device. Its called a eMTA (Embedded Multimedia Terminal Adapter). The device does the digital to analog conversion that allows your phones to work on their service.