Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some schools to start serving fresh food.
A few local schools including Keaau High School is to begin serving fresh food to their students. They say that means they will begin serving local beef and buying and serving produce from local vendors.
At first I thought, that's wonderful news for our children. Then I thought, here comes a surge of rat-lung. Maybe not though. Those kids rarely eat anything green.
I'm sure they will meticulously comb through the produce, scanning each leaf and sprig on both sides for the barely visible slugs and trails.
Still an improvement over the "Blue Zones" with $1.39 (each!) bananas imported from Ecuador. How could local produce possibly compete with that?
Blue Zones is a total cash grab by a very sharp non profit to leverage grant money by giving out banners and shirts and having a few public events. No meat there at all, another typical scam.

Will Oahu throw more money at the RLW issue when the keiki start getting it at school?
surge of rat-lung
scanning each leaf and sprig on both sides for the barely visible slugs and trails.
RLW issue when the keiki start getting it at school?

Most of the commercially grown fresh green vegetables on Big Island are grown in Waimea, some in Hamakua, not much Puna. Neither Waimea or Hamakua have the prevalence of rat lungworm that Puna does.

No meat... typical scam.

Blue Zones is based on areas of the world where people are healthier and live longer. They eat less meat in those places.

“Facts fall from the poetic observer as ripe seeds.” -Henry Thoreau
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
At least it can mean good business for local farmers and ranchers. However, cafeteria workers aren't paid enough to meticulously scan each local produce item for slug trails and pinhead sized baby slugs.
However, cafeteria workers aren't paid enough to meticulously scan each local produce item for slug trails and pinhead sized baby slugs.
-------
Pay for a "cafeteria helper" is $3,244 a month...
At least it can mean good business for local farmers and ranchers.

For some value of "local" that's large enough to include Ecuador, sure.
"local" that's large enough to include Ecuador

The 10th island?

“Facts fall from the poetic observer as ripe seeds.” -Henry Thoreau
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
$38k a year plus benefits seems like enough to do an honest days work. Assuming proper training and management.

quote:
Originally posted by leilanidude

However, cafeteria workers aren't paid enough to meticulously scan each local produce item for slug trails and pinhead sized baby slugs.
-------
Pay for a "cafeteria helper" is $3,244 a month...