Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Punatalk Rules for Newbies
A recent Punatalk thread contained a notable clash between a Newbie and several Punatic Oldtimers (Oldtimers have 2000+ posts, or thereabouts). The Newbie called one Oldtimer “pompous.” It was shocking. Things got heated; the moderator warned that he might shut down the thread.

Time again for our periodic Newbie education: Punatalk Rules for Newbies.

1. Despite the minor rankings, Newbie status is widely considered to remain until 500 posts (Kamaaina). And posters rarely receive full respect until 1000 posts.

2. If insulted by an Oldtimer, Newbies shall not reply in kind. Take it in stride. (You are showing deference.) And accept that there might be no basis for the insult. Newbie-baiting is a sport. (Think of initiation.)

3. If an associate of an Oldtimer (Oldtimer 2) throws in a snide comment to back up Oldtimer 1, rule 2 applies. (There is a serious Oldtimer clique on Punatalk. Most are of a like mind. Note that a couple of Oldtimers rarely offer serious dialog; their primary contribution is derisive quips at Newbies being targeted by other Oldtimers. The term sidekick comes to mind.)

4. If an Oldtimer states that you are annoying everyone and to stop posting, do so immediately. Stay off Punatalk for a week. When you return, it is recommended that you confine yourself to the Garden Section for a few days to show proper deference.

5. Newbies can ingratiate themselves with most Oldtimers and rise more rapidly out of Newbiedom by effusively praising the TMT project and the helicopter tour industry. Harsh attacks against any poster who criticizes these enterprises will get you big points from most Oldtimers. Sidekick quips will be noted and appreciated.
Take it with a grain of salt. MarkD is a newbie.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
There is a serious Oldtimer clique on Punatalk.

I have yet to receive my membership card and t-shirt. Perhaps they're lost in the USPS.
I can give you a bumper sticker if you want one....
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
What a crock ...

My take is, you get what you give on PW, (and everywhere else.)

I find long winded, negative opinions annoying and usually stop reading what the poster has to say.
On the other hand, sincere, respectful, informative or even funny posts and opinions are appreciated and responded to in kind.

Kalakoa, sorry about your T Shirt. It's at the Airport P.O.

The Age of Aquarius has come and gone.
Don't trust anyone under 1000*.

“Facts fall from the poetic observer as ripe seeds.” -Henry Thoreau
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
IMO the fact that a poster has 1000+ posts does not equate to being deserving of respect. I subscribe to the adage that another Punawebber posts: don't speak unless you can improve on the silence. For some here, "improving on the silence" is apparently a very low bar.
For some people you can just feel that they were bullied at school. My condolences.
MarkD, from one newbie to another, thanks for the chuckle and informative post. KeaauRich, ditto.

kalakoa, you deserve a tshirt and a bumper sticker.
Young people telling old-timers how it's done... Same as it ever was!