Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Siesta no longer available in 2 pound jugs
If you've had problems finding Siesta, it's because it's no longer available in the 2 pound containers. (The 2 pound containers replaced the 1.5 pound containers, which are also no longer available).

The smallest size currently available is 15 pounds. Because of the high cost of the 15 pound bags (over $200) most of the merchants stopped selling it. (even the Hilo Farm Co-op no longer carries it).

There is an eBay merchant selling 1.5 pound jugs for $47 with free shipping. They have two left.

CPS has the 15# bags in stock for $206 plus tax. When we run out of Siesta the plan is to buy the 15# bag with neighbors and friends and split the cost.

The 15# bags work out to approximately $13 a pound as compared to $25 in the 2 pound jugs, so its actually a MUCH better deal, we just can't use 15# before it goes bad.
NOOOO!!!Buy Why?
FWIW, I just went to Amazon and was able to order 1.5 lbs at $52.95 with free shipping. For now.
https://www.amazon.com/Siesta-Fire-1-5lb...00I4I024Y/

You can also order the 15 pound bag there. It's not really clear to me how long Siesta lasts before going "bad". Maybe I'll just treat the whole neighborhood.
quote:
Originally posted by Lodestone

NOOOO!!!Buy Why?
FWIW, I just went to Amazon and was able to order 1.5 lbs at $52.95 with free shipping. For now.

What shipping address did you use? I used your link and was immediately advised that this item could not be shipped to my location - Keaau.

What did you do differently?

Mike in HPP

quote:
Originally posted by OrchidIslander

quote:
Originally posted by Lodestone

NOOOO!!!Buy Why?

What shipping address did you use? I used your link and was immediately advised that this item could not be shipped to my location - Keaau.

What did you do differently?

Beats me! Shipping to my home address in Hawaiian Shores. We're Amazon Prime, but this item "is not eligible for Amazon Prime", but had free shipping anyway.
Just buy the large one and store the extra in gallon plastic milk containers. That is more or less what the stuff comes in anyway.
quote:
Originally posted by leilanidude

Just buy the large one and store the extra in gallon plastic milk containers. That is more or less what the stuff comes in anyway.

I believe Siesta has a fairly short "shelf life", but can't remember where I got that or how long before it "goes bad".[?]
Shelf life :

Avoid storing at high temperatures, >95º F, for long periods
• Unopened – stable shelf life of two years
• Opened – use within three months
• Store in cool, dry, secure place, and keep container
tightly closed
• Store container away from children and pets
Thanks Obie. Therein lies the rub: Opened – use within three months.
Gotta open it to put into those containers. And, of course, "cool, dry" places do not exist here.
"cool, dry" places do not exist here

I would guess that Siesta (and others) "go bad" because they absorb moisture from the air, in which case sealed jars with desiccant packs should work just fine.
I would guess that Siesta (and others) "go bad" because they absorb moisture from the air, in which case sealed jars with desiccant packs should work just fine.

I bet oxygen would help it go rancid too.

May want to vacuum pack it.