Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nuisance phone calls
I'm getting multiple robocalls per day asking for donations to firemen or police or something (I hang up). Anyone else getting this and know how to stop it? I'm already on the no call list.

Thanks!
Answer and say, I am on the do not call list. This is your final warning. I file lawsuits for violations, for fun. Remove my number now.
Thanks, I'll try that. So far it's just a recorded message that seems to be listening for a response. I hope I get to speak to someone and brighten their day.
Paul - do you their number? Given they're not respecting your privacy they should have no problem posting their number here. There are a number of sites that can do a reverse lookup and let you know if it's probably a scam (it sounds like one to me).
For many months we suffered with robo calls.
Our solution was to get a computer activated voice mail. ( Land Line )
We also stopped answering the phone.
After 6 months the robo calls ceased.
The robo callers never leave a message . They just hang up.
All calls came from the 415 area code .
When we called the numbers back - they were either busy signals or no longer in service each and every time .
It has been 3 months now since the last robo call.
Legit callers leave a message and we have caller ID .
Mrs.Mimosa
We call back if a number is listed. It's always disconnected or busy.
Today I got my "last warning from the IRS" on the cell. Click. It's much easier to block those calls than on the home phone.
Screening calls really helps. If they really want you, they'll leave a message. Robo calls never do.
My phone doesn't store numbers. I'll make a note of it next time. No calls so far today. It's quite sophisticated, hopefully it's also programmed to give up on a number after a while.
Luckily, I can block calls with my phone. It rings once, then hangs up on them. You of course can do this yourself, lift receiver and hang up, which is basically what blocking numbers does. Don't wait for their spiel. This is my go-to site to look up numbers - people post what was said when they talked to someone or when message was left - so you can at least find on many numbers what the heck it's all about. https://800notes.com/

Do not call list is worthless. They can argue that they've already done business with you or that you asked to be contacted, which is allowed under do not call list rules. There's no way to prove otherwise.
We've been getting bombarded lately w/these mainland calls. That's what I've been doing manually...after one or two rings, I hang up on them. I used to answer and then set the phone down and walk away for a few min and hang up once I heard the busy signal... until a cpl of times after 12 min. or so, they still hadn't hung up. So I'm back to one ring and disconnect.
A friend of mine gets a big kick out of having long weird discussions with them. Course they have to be REAL people! He pours himself a glass of wine and asks questions like, "Do you sell vacuum cleaners? I need one." and they're like, "No, sir, we don't sell vacuums. We're calling about..." Sales calls? He's like, "Oh no. I can't get solar. Houses burn down with solar." And of course they argue and he goes into long on-the-spot story about a house that had solar and burned down and how he won't go anywhere near it and how his grandmother died in a fire and how awful it is, blah blahblah. He gets a kick out of how long they'll stay on with him until they give up.

I tried it once. This was the computer scam, where they tell you they're from "IT Department" or "Microsoft Tech Support" and that they've gotten alert about a virus on your computer. I put on old lady voice and said, "Oh my. I don't know anything about my computer. My son handles all of that." Guy (Indian or Pakistani accent) starts to go into his thing about this virus and I'm giving him my old-lady oh my's and finally commercial break was overon the TV so I said in my regular voice, "Ok, enough I'm just f----g with you." and he said... "YOU F--- YOUR MOTHER!" and hung up. It still makes me laugh.

Now I just don't answer, check the # online, and then block the call. Sears has been calling us for like 2 weeks every day, 2x a day. I'm sure they want to sell us a warranty.