Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Explosions
There's a man who lives on my street who likes to terrorize his neighbors by setting off random bombs. I don't know what to call them - bottle rockets? Pipe bombs? Last night at 11pm he set off a bomb that actually rattled my windows and shook the house. It scared me but I'm mostly mad because of what it does to my poor dogs. I know this New Year's Eve will probably be awful for them and I'll have to drug them and bring them inside. Last July 3rd police cars and an ambulance were in this guy's yard when I drove by. My grandson said he had been doing bombs that day. The next day, July 4th, there was complete silence from his house. But now he's at it again.
I guess my question is: what would you do if you had a neighbor like him? I don't see how the police officers can talk to him because he keeps his gate closed. Thanks for any ideas you may have.
Call the FBI. Leave the local police out of it. If the FBI hears the word bomb they will be all over it. There are FBI agents stationed on this island with little to do.

Leave bottle rockets and fireworks out of it.

Homeland Security pushes the slogan: "If you see something, say something".
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Thank you, Mr. Tucker. I'm a big chicken and don't want this guy to know I'm reporting him. Do you think an anonymous letter would work? I know his address.
You will have to use your best judgement.

Some time back I thought a place like the Big Island would be as safe as safe could be. Then there was that bombing at that night club in Bali. You chose the title of "Bombs" for this topic... let's assume your instincts have simple merit.

A lot of "ifs" come to mind. If it is an innocent situation a visit from the FBI should be quite sobering and result in a long stretch of quiet.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
When I was in Samoa years ago, one of the popular pastimes by teenage boys was to take a long tube, bamboo or metal pipe with one end sealed, then pour some kind of flammable liquid into it. Blow into the open end until the evaporated fumes filled the cylinder, then ignite. They sounded just like a bomb going off. It was the least favorite part of my visit to an otherwise peaceful island.

“Facts fall from the poetic observer as ripe seeds.” -Henry Thoreau
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
If he's a welder (or has access to welding gas) it could be he's putting acetylene and oxygen into a trash bag and igniting it. It sounds like a bomb going off and the shockwave is strong enough to rattle windows etc, but it generally has no shrapnel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU4-S1ViZeA&t=0m18s

The FBI accepts anonymous tips.

ETA: "When I was in Samoa years ago, one of the popular pastimes by teenage boys was to take a long tube, bamboo or metal pipe with one end sealed, then pour some kind of flammable liquid into it."

It's called a "Polish Cannon". They can be used launch tennis balls etc if one is interested in more than just the sound. It was later refined with ABS tubing to create "The Potato Cannon".
Definitely call someone, idiots with explosives never ends well
Hi Seeb,
I called the police last night and again today and all they can tell me is to call them whenever it happens. Whether they'll actually do anything about it - I don't know. If it does continue I will call the FBI. Do you think they'll be interested in neighborhood terrorism?
You should keep a log of exact times and dates when it happens. Certainly, call the police as soon as it happens next time, see what they do.
If you're a bit handy with computers you can set up something to continuously record sounds and try to catch it. If you have an ipad I can tell you how to do it.
With all the craziness on the mainland, it's probably only matter of time before something similar happens here. Does this guy have anger issues? Because anger issues + obsession with weapons seems to be the formula for weak, pathetic men taking out their issues on others.