Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Island Organics made in CA, and HI beer thread
Before you think you're "buying local":

https://www.bigislandorganics.net/home

"Eventually, we moved to California to keep up with production and help bring our growing line of drinks to the Mainland. Two decades later, we still strive to maintain the spirit we crafted on that farm back in 1996."
Big Island Lemonade - straight outta Sebastopol ;-)
Kinda like Longboard, Huh?
Oh! Where's that brewed? It's one of the "local" beers I actually like.
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/...ng-forward
Interesting, thanks. I generally don't care where a beer is brewed as long as it tastes good. But I definitely thought the Kona Brewing Company meant the beers were brewed on the island.

Someone had a dig at me a few weeks ago for enjoying "foreign beers" even though the ones I mentioned were all brewed in the US. I wonder if they'll have a different opinion in the future...
But I definitely thought the Kona Brewing Company meant the beers were brewed on the island.
-----------
The kegs are brewed here. They discovered that trying to import bottles to the island was very expensive and gave up on it
We live on an island chain in the middle of the Pacific.
We are about 2500 miles from California, about 4000 miles from Japan, 3800 miles from Brisbane, Australia and
so on.
It's nice to have tourism, but even traveling to here is expensive and time consuming.
Our kind of tourist market is very sensitive to the news and world economy.
Ultimately, it cannot be relied on, long term.
Another major part of our economy is retirement remittances(SS, pensions, returns on savings and
investments).
These funds are mostly not produced here, but are spent here by retirees.
Then there are Federal remittances, largely military, but also subsidies for public spending.
Therefor, our real, local economy here is very small, and that's is why we "offshore" even those few
enterprises that start here, even juice and beer.
Then too, Hawaii's population is too small (1.4 million) to, by itself survive with mainland standards
of living without close ties with the "mainlands" of North America and Asia.
Conducting most kinds of business here is burdened by high overhead, and our culture of corruption
and limited competency in business and government. (See the HDP, OHA, DHHL DOE, HELCO, the Legislature and on
and on).
Our best way to have a real, self-sufficient economy, with mainland standards, is to expand R&D that we do here by at least 100x.
That means astronomy and astrophysics, energy, agricultural and medical R&D.
These things have relatively small footprints and produce good quality jobs that would support a high standard of living here in Hawaii.
It also gets around the cost of shipping and isolation as the results are transmitted electronically rather than physically most of the time.

Kona brew that is on tap, is brewed here. I took a tour earlier this year and the guide said that once their new facility is built, the goal is to have all the bottled beer that is sold in Hawaii, brewed in Hawaii as well. Stuff sold on the mainland will still be bottled on the mainland. They just don't have the capacity to bottle their beer here right now.
Before you think you're "buying local"

It's not just a Hawaiian deceit.
Old Milwaukee is brewed in Los Angeles, and when you pick up a six pack at the store, barely a few weeks or month have gone by since it was bottled. Liars.

“Facts fall from the poetic observer as ripe seeds.” -Henry Thoreau
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves