Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tool Lending Library
I heard a program on HPR the other day about a guy who started a library for tools in Honolulu and thought it was a really cool idea.

https://hnltoollibrary.org/

And here's the inventory list:

https://hnltoollibrary.org/inventory/

My process of buying a specialty tools and either storing it or re-selling on craigslist is a system I would prefer to do without. I'd love to see something like this in Hilo or Puna.
I heard that on NPR too. Great idea.

It would be nice if the recycle centers were secure enough to act as a tool library.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Brilliant.
The old re-store at Keaau dump had a locked container they used to keep their books in, Rob.
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tucker

I heard that on NPR too. Great idea.
I agree. A way good idea if all the maliciousness that one could imagine were somehow kept from creeping in.

I think this would be great as a co-op. Where lots of folks could contribute their less than used regularly tools. Ideally it would be in a location that was big enough, and central enough, that large tools could be set up and used there. Large planers, drum sanders, table saws lathes, drill presses, etc., all being way too heavy to walk out the door with might be better if they were available to use at the co-op verses take home. Maybe with the co-op having a rotating staff that would be available for a fee to do the work for people. Home DYI-ers that really don't know how, or have the time to do it themselves.
I think this was discussed before years ago and the conclusion was that most who know how to use such tools appreciate and care for them and know how badly damaged they might be by unfamiliar workers. This is one of the reasons why people like to have their own tools.

I agree it sounds like a nice idea for those who can't afford their own tools, but I would also imagine the shared tools would quickly become quite shoddy if not so already when donated.

(there is a reason I made my username rainyjim)
I loan my tools to a select few who would admit to damaging them and pay to fix them...
Looked at the web site - there is a fee, so they got your credit card on file if you don’t return stuff. I assume there is a liability waver in the membership. Those are reasonable things, But I’m sure someone in Puna would protest
That "country livin" overhead makes this all somewhat impractical -- starting with the time/gas required to check out/return the tool, ending with "nowhere to put it" because SUP and NIMBY.

I get plenty mileage out of a checked bag and/or flat-rate box of Harbor Freight -- "quality" tools rust out just as fast, here...
In theory a good idea.
In reality not so much.

Almost every time I've loaned tools I have to call and ask for them back.
And they come back worn, dull, and dirty.
One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.