Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raises for UH staff - Many earn more than $100K
http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/news...-100k-year

snipped:

"Unionized UH employees also received pay increases. Employees represented by Hawaii Government Employees Association, Unit 8, received an across-the-board increase of 3.2 percent for fiscal year 2018 and 3.45 percent for fiscal year 2019.

University of Hawaii Professional Assembly, Unit 7, employees received an across-the-board increase of 2.13 percent plus $500 to the base salary for fiscal year 2018, and 2.82 percent plus $500 to the base salary for fiscal year 2019.

Campuswide, at least 91 of 545 UH-Hilo employees earn more than $100,000 per year, though the actual number is likely higher because employees represented by HGEA are not required to report exact salaries, only earning ranges.

Of about 272 HGEA employees at UH-Hilo, at least 143 have six-figure earning potential.

At HCC, at least 14 of 229 employees earn more than $100,000 per year, and at least 52 of 115 HGEA employees at the community college have six-figure earning potential."

Minimum wage goes up to $10.10 on 1/1/2018...
And their paying off $250,000 of student loans
paying off $250,000 of student loans

Because some of them went on to graduate school for a year or two, or even four. The extra study allowed them to earn a Masters or PhD and a broad knowledge in their field of expertise, with some depth in the subject matter as well. Doesn't that provide the best possible education for students in their classroom? Isn't that what we want?

"Enlightened statesmen will not always be at the helm." -James Madison, The Federalist Papers, 1787
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Although I might question the size of the raises being given to the UH-Hilo staff, I don't have a problem with doctorate level professors making that much money. (I suspect, however, that some of those six figure salaries are administrators.) I'd rather someone with a PhD get the bucks than some county bureaucrat good old boy/girl whose biggest qualification is knowing the right people.
No raises while enrollment is still declining. Simple math.
(I suspect, however, that some of those six figure salaries are administrators.)
-------------
Name, job title and amounts are shown at the bottom of the link.
Pretty sure the head of the university makes over 300.000 a year...someone on campus always posts it so all can see.

Does that mean they get a raise also..
Also, some of the faculty on the list are 11-month and some are 9-month. So, it's really hard to tell who gets what $ and what the overall average is. Civil Beat has had the salaries updated on their website for years, so you can select who is 9-month and who is 11 month. The administrators are indicated in the big list. Most of the high salary people are Pharmacy school, which has a completely separate budget from the rest of campus that is self-funded with higher tuition rates.

Mauka Hilo-side
Mauka Hilo-side
HOTPE -"Because some of them went on to graduate school for a year or two, or even four. The extra study allowed them to earn a Masters or PhD and a broad knowledge in their field of expertise, with some depth in the subject matter as well. Doesn't that provide the best possible education for students in their classroom? Isn't that what we want?"

Well said. My GF is a tenured professor in a California college and has a Doctorate degree. She and her colleagues do what they do because they love teaching, not for money. Who would spend so much money, time and effort to get to that position? It's a hyper competitive field and Doctorate degrees are a starting point for Professor positions. There are routinely several hundred applicants for a single job. I wouldn't begrudge them for what they get paid. They earn every penny.