Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A boar
Well, I've been in HPP nearly 6 years and I have never seen any pigs. Now, one boar has been visiting 4 of the past five evenings around 5-6. The first night, it went to neighbors avocado tree,but each night it has spent time on our property. I can't figure out what it is eating. Nothing obvious that it is after. Anyone know habits of pigs?
I have seen some in my 6 years plus here. Never on our property. I have heard they can about rip your yard/garden/whatever to shreds.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
Your new reality will be having to fence your property !
Lots of pigs here in HPP. They love the ripe fruit this time of year. When that runs out, they’ll move on to the lawns.
Once our neighbor shot a Sow but didn’t realize she had 5 little ones, who grew up and trashed our yards for 2 years until they were finally “eliminated”. They literally peeled the grass and sod right off the lava like it was a carpet.
They can dig under fences unless they’re the rock wall variety.
After having our pineapples munched then dug up for several years running, we got dogs. We have not seen one pig on our land since then.
My dogs were going crazy (on deck). There isn't any ground to dig, an inch at most that is why I am wondering what it is after. There are trees, bushes, plants, but none which have been eaten. I have seen pigs other places, but never here.
I think they peel the lawn up like sod to get at the worms underneath. Yes, they can turn a beautiful landscape into a devastated mess. Once they put you on their list of places to dine, they seem to stick around for a while. Even after they finally leave, your soil is a lumpy mess.

I recommend get or borrow dogs and post them on your property until it breaks their pattern. Do it while you still have a lawn.
My neighbors here in HPP who resolutely refuse to fence their property despite being able to afford it, use a huge steel cage trap to catch wild pigs. Some guy comes over and kills them for food when they trap one. They told me that they "borrow" the trap from somewhere, but since I have a barbed wire fence to keep the hogs out of my place, I don't know where they get it.
This may sound silly, but if you don't have any dogs, pretend to be one. Bark at them. I do it, and it works. Make sudden loud noises at the same time, just loud banging noises.

This is only a temporary fix but it's quite satisfying to hear the pigs run away.

Warn your neighbors first before trying this tactic!
The bulldozer mashed the rocky rubble that passes for soil on my property flat. The pigs dug the rubble up leaving the surface considerably less flat. They literally undid some of what the bulldozer had done. Earthworms comprise a significant part of their diet. That's why they seem to target your yard for destruction.

I had no pigs for years, never even saw one near my area towards the front of Eden Roc. Then back when the volcano was burning through fresh forest I started seeing them. Every morning when I went out I would be surprised by them as I went outside. One morning I was determined not to be surprised so I kept my eyes scanning left and right out to the edges of my property as I rounded the corner of my container. Nearly stepped on a piglet.

Over time the piglets got larger and fewer until now there are none. I haven't seen signs of pigs for well over a year now.
In our neighborhood, the pigs tend to spend a few days wreaking havoc on the yard, then they move on to the next yard. They focus on the fallen fruit, if any, from our orchard, and certain areas of lawn rooting. We have yelled at them, thrown rocks, shot at them, and even chased them with a vehicle. I should mention that we also have a dog that would gladly chase them down, but we don't want him injured or killed. All of the aforementioned methods work initially. I remember when we first moved here and our rental house had pigs showing up nightly. At first they would run from a bright light or loud noises. Each night than ran a shorter distance from us and would look at us as if to say "What else you got?"

Wahine
Wahine

Lead by example