Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electricity
Can y’all please let me know what the average monthly electricity cost is?

Thanks!!!

www.photographyaina.etsy.com
figure a minimum of 2 times what you are currently paying up to about 4 times depending on where you live now at your current use rate. my average rate is ~$0.36/kwh with service charges and other add-ons.
wendy depends so much on what you have electric vs. propane. my hot water and stove are propane and mine runs around 85 a month. my daughter is all electric and hers runs about 120 a month. but many people run over 2 or 300 a month. it is what you use like anywhere although our kilowatt price is the highest i have ever heard of. anything that produces heat is the biggy as far as that meter spinning and temporary power runs more also
Our place is all electric through Helco, and runs about $105 a month. We just about never use our dryer. Just hang stuff on the line to dry. My daughter's place has propane stove and dryer, and is just about the same as ours.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
Ours is usually under $100 and I'm not frugal enough with the electric. I leave lights on and stuff. I use the dryer more often than I should. I have solar hot water heater though, but this time of the year have been using electric to heat water even. I think the last couple months its been a bit over $100 from the extra uses.

Dayna

www.E-Z-Caps.com
Dayna Robertson
At Home Hawaii
Real Estate Sales and Property Management
RS-85517
Dayna.JustListedInHawaii.com
Dayna.Robertson@gmail.com
Most expensive items to run (as noted above, heat producing):
Water heater
Clothes dryer
Oven
Hair dryer

And appliances that cool:
Refrigerator
Freezer
AC

I have my water heater on a timer, and no freezer, right now average around $100 month. Fuel oil is relatively low cost at the time (which HELCO burns to make electricity) so if oil prices go up again your electric bill could be proportionally higher, even using the same kW hours.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Wendy, if you're moving here, you might consider propane and a tankless water heater. Stove for sure. Consider this: building your house "up", with your open garage below (and a place to dry clothes out of the rain?) you'll save on cooling costs because it puts more airflow through. AC is really expensive, and IMO walls you off from the outdoors. Another thing: power outages. A friend in Leilani was out for 3 weeks, when the power came back on he found that lava at that time was heading his way. When the power is out, you're...OFF the grid. Might as well prioritize (as per HOTPEs categories) and put select categories in the propane or solar categories to minimize disruption. If you live on catchment, how will the water be pumped? Aloha!
$250-300/month depending on how much stuff I am doing...
Ours usually runs 65-75$/month. Gas stove and water heater helps.
Chest freezer, frig on Helco, ac too but we only use it if lava caused fires smoking up the air.
We lived 11 years without Helco and only one solar panel for pump, light and small tv, so learned to conserve.

It really depends on what you use and how you use it.
About 54 cents a KWH with all the surcharges