Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bogus "fire safety" call
Got a call from 808-321-0795 - gentleman who sounds like he's Tony from Jersey says "they're doin' fire safety in your area" and would like to "bring you new batteries for your smoke alarm." I told him our smoke alarms are hard wired, thanks, he started again and I said, "That's enough -- not going there" and hung up. Not sure what that's about but I've blocked the #.
Suspicions verified at https://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-808-321-0795 - I always use that site to check out suspicious calls.
Lately, if you don't know who is calling you, do not answer the phone. Let them leave a message.
Sad enough. . That is life as we know it, has come to... Don't answer the phone unless you recognise the number.

Not sad. I think it simplifies things. If it is important or someone you know a message will be left. Otherwise it's probably a scammer or a waste of your time spent answering.
I know this call may not sound legit, but inspecting is a noble profession. I myself was a panty inspector in college...
I hardly ever answer the phone anymore unless Caller ID says it's someone I know. But when it's a local area code, I'm more likely to answer even tho it's not my normal M.O. bc a lot of cell phones don't show names on Caller ID. I've missed some calls from repair people, doctor's offices etc.
"DTisme: I hardly ever answer the phone anymore unless Caller ID says it's someone I know. But when it's a local area code, I'm more likely to answer even tho it's not my normal M.O."

I did the same thing, but now some of the scammers/tele sales phone numbers are showing up with local area codes. I block the number each time. Combined with my use of a Google Voice universal number I've been able to keep the BS calls to a minimum. Get a free phone number, with your area code, and give that one out. You can tie as many of your real numbers (cell, home, office, etc) to the Google number. When someone calls the Google number you can set it up to ring any of your real phones or a combination of them, or none at all.
Local fire departments and districts used to perform smoke alarm check or installation using the station staff and fire inspection staff to "make the rounds" as a public safety write off.
Too bad "budget cuts" affected this.

Community begins with Aloha
HI_Someday... yeah,and they also spoof numbers to appear to come from local phone. MOST of the time I let it go to answering machine and listen to see if it's real. Not sure why I answered this one!