Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Washington Post -- Shrinking Hawaii Population
There is a good article out today regarding the small decrease in Hawaii population in the Washington Post dated 1/5/18.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk...83ffe1a3b0

Not surprising of course for those of us living here -- I would have a hard time living here without renting from a family member and basically paying mortgage and taxes (not the commercial rate).

The comment section for the article contains some good discussions as well.
High cost of living combined with high taxes and little opportunity for most folks to get quality jobs.
I don't see how any average person could raise a family here with the cost of living and what the average job pays. I love Hawaii but I am lucky have decent retirement from working Union all my life and no kids to raise. I move from Alaska so wasn't shock by the cost of living but if in didn't live in puna it would cost to much for me in Hawaii.
jrw
A few thousand people left Hawaii.
A million + have figured out a way to stay.
I'll take those odds.

"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water.” - President Donald J. Trump
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Wonder what the population would be if there was no EBT?
Puna: Our roosters crow first
The population of Puna has increased massively in the past 10 years

Hopefully someday the population will be large enough to demand (and get) representation from the County.
someday the population will be large enough to demand (and get) representation

Otherwise, succession. 1st action, join up with the other ugly stepsister district on Big Island, Ka'u. Then Puna & Ka'u commandeer Volcanoes National Park and collect admission fees as funding for the newly formed country of Pele-topia.

The county has even made it easy for us. We'd only have to barricade and create two border crossings, Highway 11 heading into Hilo, and Highway 11 northwest of Oceanview.

"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water.” - President Donald J. Trump
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves

Because it's the only place in the state where housing is affordable.