Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fire ant treatment costs
We've had KFA do our fire ant treayments and have been happy with them. We have an acre in HPP not way overgrown. They might come in once and charge $80, then follow ups 2-3 months later for $50. We haven't had a lfa problem ever since. Now, it seems they let the gent that had been doing us go (or he quit??) and just wondering what others are paying for this service. I'm sure some of you are doing it youselves. I've heard that Bifen isn't a good choice if you are growing edibles, which we certainly do. For those doing their own, what are you using? Tango? Or some other product?

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
KFA does mine for $84. Lot is landscaped and well manicured. 1 acre.
Do they do yours monthly or?

Thanks for the reply too.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
Every 6 weeks. Ants are gone and they suggested going longer but I just don't want them coming back, at all.
He quit Birdmove. Needed a change. We loved him and were totally happy with his work. I hated seeing him go. I hear he’s s helping with the family farm now. Nicer pace no doubt.
We are a little concerned about the future with a newly trained guy.
I’ve been thinking about checking around for somebody else, but like you, am concerned about the cost. It will be interesting to see if you uncover some information by your inquiry here so Mahalo!
Sometimes we get away with going every other month and sometimes need treatments after 3weeks, especially after neighboring properties are dozed or big rains which seem to disturb the ants. It would help if my neighbors treated, but no such luck. LFA’s stream over the fence and property lines from 4 sides. It sucks, but like my friend said, “I’m not letting tiny ants run me off my land.” (yet...)
Amdro seems work well if you are just treating a small property. Doesn't work well if it rains, but these days it is dry most of the time at lower elevations. Any comments?
Are you using the little white Amdro pellets Mark?

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
The Amdro I have, in what looks like a half gallon sized container, has tiny yellowish colored pieces in it. Humidity renders it useless after a day. I only toss a little under the house every few months, just for extra insurance from what the KFA guy is doing. I haven't seen any ants of any kind on the property for a couple years now.
Jon: Are you using the little white Amdro pellets Mark?

No, they are yellow. Are there 2 different types?
I went to the free ant lab class, which is where most of the people you hire have learned how to treat LFA: http://www.littlefireants.com/lfa%20fact...et%202.pdf

You should alternate treatments because the LFA will adapt. Treatments should be within 4-6 weeks every time. If you have a lot of ants it can take 3-4 months before you notice a change.

Making the bait with Tango is pretty easy. They have the instructions on-line: http://www.littlefireants.com/tango%20package.pdf And alternate with Siesta or Amdro. Tango stresses the hives because their reproduction rate drops, then they are eager to take the baits (Siesta/Amdro/etc.) back to the hives.

CPS has the best prices (Siesta/Tango/Amdro) they are at 900 Leilani St.