Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Active Shooter on Welea street?
According to posts on our local "Nextdoor" forum, drama has been unfolding along the Hawaiian Shores waterfront houses since around midnight, complete with cops in body armor and recommendations to evacuate. Apparently still in progress. The news websites seem oblivious. I'd bicycle down and see for myself, except that it seems like the stupidest thing I could possible do. Anybody know anything?
We just got an alert to stay away from the area.
http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/news...aches-home

Thanks Kalakoa! Of note, the intersection of Kamanu Street and Welea Street is pretty upscale as far a Puna goes, just a house or two off the ocean, with great views. So, probably not the usual meth/kidnapping/car theft drama.
12:20 a.m.: an armed man sitting inside a vehicle in a home’s driveway, preventing the resident, who is unharmed, from leaving.

10:20 a.m.: that the man remains inside the vehicle. A special response team and crisis negotiators are on scene.

If only a large group of good guys with a gun, heavily armed, could lock & load, step in and quickly resolve this problem. Or, maybe, instead, a large group of patient people, legally armed and trained, could try and manage the situation without firing a shot unless/until absolutely necessary?

"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water.” - President Donald J. Trump
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Nextdoor chatter just produced a name. Just rumor at this point, but he seems like a likely suspect...

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2015/1...n-beaches/

ETA: Of interest is his nephew's views in the comment section of article. Not a fan, apparently!
quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

If only a large group of good guys with a gun, heavily armed, could lock & load, step in and quickly resolve this problem. Or, maybe, instead, a large group of patient people, legally armed and trained, could try and manage the situation without firing a shot unless/until absolutely necessary?

In these types of barricaded crybaby situations, the large group of patient, trained people are best suited to the task although they do take awhile to respond.

However, when the shooter decides to go out with a bang and begins targeting random people, you might wish that you have a neighbor who will return fire.

It's all about balance, imo.
Agree with KJ on this.
you might wish that you have a neighbor who will return fire.

There is a brief discussion on another thread about Good Vigilante vs. Bad Vigilante:
http://www.punaweb.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24253&whichpage=3

We also need to remember that not every neighbor who returns fire can aim. Then there is the caught-in-the-crossfire scenario. In general, I agree it's about balance, but favorable outcomes are heavily weighed on the side of trained police arriving on the scene. Only rarely does an armed citizen insert himself in a shootout situation and bring about a positive result. Yes, it happens, but not as often as gun advocates imagine. You can look it up. There were recently several shooting incidents on the mainland at shopping malls. Afterward the police asked citizens not to "help" them in the future as they couldn't tell who were the "good guys with a gun," and who wasn't.

Let's hope this situation in Hawaiian Beaches is resolved soon, and without bloodshed.

"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water.” - President Donald J. Trump
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
There have been about a dozen shots fired in last half hour. HPD Still on bullhorn. Can hear it all from our lanai. Every Big Island officer must be down here. I would think this might be drawing to a finish.