Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confusion on H-130
Tonight (Friday 12th Jan) the traffic was backed up to Keaau heading towards Pahoa. The traffic signals were flashing orange for highway traffic but flashing red for those wanting to turn left at Shower, and those on Shower had a red flashing light as well. A recipe for confusion - you see a traffic light flashing red you assume it's an all-way stop, but that's not what those driving on the highway would see.

In addition, everyone obeyed the signs saying the shoulder lane was only open between 3 and 6 pm, except the shoulder lane was now a very narrow lane at the edge of the road, not wide enough for a parked car, and the original shoulder lane was marked as another driving lane (i.e., no continuous white line).

So everyone was confused about what they were allowed to do, or not, which ended up with an enormous backup. Road markings contradicting road signs is always a bad idea. Who came up with this idea? It's completely brainless.

Apparently, the lights at Shower will start operating on Tues 16th Jan although they're operating tonight to cause as much as confusion as possible.
TomK @ 23:40:13 1/13/2018-
Another "We love you Puna" from HDOT.
Flashing yellow and flashing red is the standard way to do this. Flashing red does not mean a 4 way stop. It means you have to stop. Flashing yellow means caution.

It is an accepted practice to turn on new traffic signals at least a week before they go into operation, so that motorists get used to seeing them in the new location.
Hawaii - State of Confusion
Well, motorists got a good chance to see them yesterday when it took 2 hours to get from Keaau to HPP, while everyone stopped to gawk at the flashing lights. Good job.
I was in it, too - people were STOPPING at flashing yellow. So much for Driving 101. Then someone on HPP Next Door on FB posted a video of both lanes being used, but it was STILL backed up to the high school. So depends on when you went by.
"Who came up with this idea? It's completely brainless."

Actually, brainless would have been better. Putting Abby Normal in charge of it- not so good.
Kind of makes one think if those that stopped have drivers licenses, as I believe signal light colors and meanings is on the drivers test.

Edit to change "they" to "those that stopped" for clarity.
Community begins with Aloha
people were STOPPING at flashing yellow

I was going to contact the DOT to suggest they set the lights to flashing yellow between 3-6 PM to keep the traffic flowing smoothly, but I guess with Hawaii drivers there's no point to that.

"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water.” - President Donald J. Trump
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
What Hump ?
quote:
Originally posted by terracore

"Who came up with this idea? It's completely brainless."

Actually, brainless would have been better. Putting Abby Normal in charge of it- not so good.