Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fundraising fatigue? Can we handle another?
Punawebbers did a great thing for Pahoa Elementary School's Santa's workshop. Another issue has been brought to my attention at Pahoa Elementary - shoes.

Shoes.

It seems some new regulation has come into place which prevents elementary school students from joining on field trips unless the kids have close toed shoes. Many or most only have slippers... so they can't go.

I am pondering a fundraiser for this subject. I want your input on it.

I am looking at the Shoes That Grow organization to see what they cost. https://theshoethatgrows.org

I understand they distribute in third world countries and ship with
private citizens on airlines providing them with 50 pairs in a duffle bag which fits airline specs.

Whaddaya think? Is there energy for such a thing?

I like the shoes that grow because they are long lasting and adjust to a child's foot as she/her grow.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Yes, but the shoe pictured looks like it could be "open toed." although not a slipper, there appear holes at top.
We would have to get The Shoe That Grows approved..... otherwise it is Wally World most likely.

The SHoe That Grows makes good sense though. Brilliant idea.

Punaweb moderator
Do they have to be new shoes? Can the school keep a stock of donated shoes of various sizes available? The kids can either keep them or just give them back after the field trip if that's all they were going to use them for.

I know there is an "ick" factor putting on used shoes as anybody who has ever gone bowling can attest, but we all survived that just fine. Any nasty shoes can be tossed out.
There seems to be a thought to keep a stock of shoes at the school. Once a new shoe is worn once it is a "used" shoe. Whether all shoes will return to a shelf after a field trip is TBD.

I'm not in charge of this.

Punaweb moderator
Hey TC, check out Toms shoes. They have had a program going since their start of if someone buys a pair of shoes, someone underpriveleged gets a pair. They may be able to help with their program in some way.

Community begins with Aloha
Rob - Both Target and Ross donate to Good - Will at end of every month all clothing items not sold during each 30 day cycle .
Wal-mart will also donate to good community efforts .
We suggest going to all 3 big box outlets with your proposal / need for foot wear for the kids .
You may also try going to Goodwill with same and see if they also will donate to your great cause .
Mrs.Mimosa
What about Payless? Maybe they have a corporate plan in place for something like this?