Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sad news - Paul Coleman
It's with immense sadness that I report the passing of Dr. Paul Coleman. Paul, a native Hawaiian, was an astronomer at the UH Institue for Astronomy and many of you will have seen him on both TV and at the TMT contested case hearing last year. Paul passed away unexpectedly last Tuesday night. Colleagues and friends are heartbroken as Paul was loved by everyone; a very gentle and friendly soul and also a very well respected astrophysicist.

There are many videos of him online, but just to jog people's memories, this is a link to a PBS Hawaii Insights show broadcast last year debating the TMT.

https://youtu.be/HMKgNSb1cE0
TomK @15:42:28 01/20/2018-
A real loss Tom.
So sorry about your friend and colleague.

Don't be an sesquipedalian, Eschew Obfuscation.....

Sometimes, when I see the neighborhood children make small discoveries of their own, I wish I were a child.
With apologies to Dr. Seuss

Don't be an sesquipedalian, Eschew Obfuscation.....

Sometimes, when I see the neighborhood children make small discoveries of their own, I wish I were a child.
With apologies to Dr. Seuss

Thanks for posting the video link TomK.

Paul Coleman's passing will no doubt be a great loss to the scientific community here in Hawaii, as well as a loss to his family, friends, and the Hawaiian community at large. As I watched him contribute to the conversation about the TMT on PBS, I couldn't help thinking he was a man who saw not only the big picture in the skies over Mauna Kea, but the big picture under his feet, with deep respect for the aina and for all those who live here, no matter what their personal views might be.

"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water.” - President Donald J. Trump
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
HOTPE @ 08:17:02 01/21/2018-
My sentiments exactly.
Very painful.

Very well put, HOTPE. Absolutely spot on.

PS. I think this only emphasizes HOTPE's post:

http://www.businessinsider.com/thirty-me...ts-2015-10