Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Puna traffic cams no longer available?
I used to go to this site quite often to check on traffic:

http://punatraffic.com/Cameras

even if half the cameras didn't work. It was quite helpful. Now it redirects you to:

http://traffic.hawaiicounty.gov/

I can't find a link to the traffic cams there but perhaps missed it. Anyone know more? I also learned, while visiting that site, that traffic lights and stop signs are considered emergency repairs and we should call the police. I never knew that before.

https://goo.gl/7VhWfF

I think they missed out a word or two, but happy dialing!
The long story short as to why the site is no longer available is due to cost.
The third party outfit that provided the back end management of the traffic cams was too costly for the county, and the state, to afford. There is
a chance that it may return in the future when the county's traffic cam backbone is upgraded from microwave to fiber-optic.
why the site is no longer available is due to cost

...but there was plenty of money for raises.

third party outfit that provided the back end management of the traffic cams was too costly

...but there was plenty of money ($500K) for a "mass transit master plan".

when the county's traffic cam backbone is upgraded from microwave to fiber-optic

...because County has to run their own backbone, instead of "just" ordering connections from Telcom.

"It promotes growth, and is so powerful that none can abide by the stench thereof."
Thanks, Aaron. Given they couldn't keep half the cameras operating anyway your post isn't much of a surprise.
Aaron S @ 08:34:45 01/25/2018, kalakoa @ 08:54:36 01/25/2018, Tomk @ 01:09:29 01/26/2018-
Thank you all. You collectively said it all.
No vision, no competency, no honesty, just run the milking machine of extracting taxes for as little services
as can be gotten away with while stealing from the taxpayers for the "privileged elite".
Pure plantation politics without the "plantations".
I've attempted to ask some politicians from the "Governor" and "Legislators" what they are going to
do for our future and current well being and in most cases I get the "blank Japanese face of indifference",
or in one case, the Governor's staff physically pushing me out of the way of a quiet and civil conversation with the Governor, re: slow release of Federal funds that were given to the State.
Some more people have got to get off their asses and hold these corrupt critters accountable.[}Smile][}Smile][}Smile][}Smile][}Smile][}Smile]
I've tried to do my part, where's the citizens with the metaphorical or real tar and feathers?[Sad!][Sad!][Sad!][Sad!][Sad!]
i think the issue is a bit more complicated. technology is, or can be, a great tool in improving our quality of life. the problem is, it isn't allocated enough within the budget to be fully implemented. also, it is changing rapidly, so it is difficult for local municipalities to keep up. it's not just about buying webcams, there is much infrastructure to support it, and in lack of very thoughtful coordination and foresight, that infrastructure can be very costly over the short and/or long terms.
it's not just about buying webcams, there is much infrastructure to support it

No, it's really not that difficult or expensive ... unless you have to outsource to "consultants".

For $320M/year in salaries+benefits, it should be trivial to hire some competent IT folks.

Note that there are cameras installed at many Hilo intersections. Are these also non-functional, or is County somehow able to make them work despite the "budget, infrastructure, difficult to keep up"?
there are cameras installed at many Hilo intersections

Some of the cameras at intersections are remnants of the photo-ticket program some years back - - run a red light, the camera takes a picture of your car and mails you the ticket.
The other little boxes are switches that allow ambulance drivers and fire trucks to activate a green light when they need to get through an intersection. Those are still functional.

Percentage change in the level of glyphosate, an herbicide, in Americans’ urine since 1993 : +1,200. Harper's Index
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

it's not just about buying webcams, there is much infrastructure to support it

For $320M/year in salaries+benefits, it should be trivial to hire some competent IT folks.

That's a weak argument. The $320M/year is part of what budget, exactly? And what experience/knowledge do you have to make that assessment?
$320M/year is part of what budget, exactly? And what experience/knowledge do you have

County budget is $491M, of which 65% is salaries/benefits, or about $320M/year.

For $320M/year, I expect some competence or expertise -- yet County always has to hire "consultants" to perform "studies" and write "plans", which strongly suggests that County lacks the knowledge necessary to perform functions required by the public, in which case we're being massively overcharged for the "administrative support" necessary to hire those consultants and read those reports.

As for the technical aspect: it doesn't take much "infrastructure" to assemble wireless camera pictures into a webpage. Unfortunately, I'm just an engineer; I lack the "soft skills" necessary to sell a cost-inflated solution to County.