Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question R/T CHFT webcam movies
Aloha,
Reading the discussion about recent storms led me to check the CFHT webcam movies. (I love to replay the Sep.15, 2016 movie). After midnight in the movie of 1/24/18 the screen is mostly reddish orange and I want to know why? TomK, do you have an explanation for me?

"Pursue some path, however narrow and crooked, in which you can walk with love and reverence."......Journal, 18 October 1855 - Henry D. Thoreau
"Pursue some path, however narrow and crooked, in which you can walk with love and reverence."......Journal, 18 October 1855 - Henry D. Thoreau
Missey - I'm not certain, but that reddish glow didn't appear on any other cameras that night, so it was local to the CFHT. My guess is that a red night light near the camera was left on and you're seeing the light being reflected by the fog. I know there is a lot of engineering going on at the CFHT right now, so they may have been working overnight or left a light on knowing it didn't matter given the weather.

If you want to know for sure, I can always ask someone at the CFHT.
You are too kind to offer, Tom, don’t you dare do that. Your explanation makes perfect sense.

Thank you!
No problem, Missey. If I'd emailed them they might have thought I was complaining about lights being left on at night and affecting our observations - which we weren't doing given the weather!