Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Decent Rat Lung Worm Bill
HB474 is under review by the financial board on Tuesday. This is actually a good bill with specific goals and funding the right people. It should be hard for the legislators to shuffle the money off to DoH for advertisements this time.

If you support this bill, please provide testimony here:

https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/measure_indiv.aspx?billtype=HB&billnumber=474

(1)Conducting laboratory testing to determine the effectiveness
of deworming rats to reduce rat lungworm transmission;

(2)Conducting laboratory testing of a wide range of commercially available produce washes as well as other potential solutions;

(3) Conducting laboratory testing of commercially available filters
and ultraviolet systems to determine effectiveness in catchment;

(4) Optimizing existing tests or developing new blood-based tests for rat lungworm diagnostics;

(5) Conducting and publishing a study on long-term recovery from rat lungworm disease;

(6)Researching and reviewing worldwide literature regarding rat lungworm disease case studies for comparison and contrast with cases of rat lungworm disease in Hawaii

(7)Developing clinical guidelines regarding the risk factors, diagnosis, treatment, and long-term consequences of rat lungworm disease;

(8) Conducting a case study on individuals who contracted rat lungworm disease by ingesting kava; and Other related research, studies, and testing regarding the prevention and eradication of rat lungworm disease;

And finally: Appropriates funds to the University of Hawaii at Hilo for testing, studies, outreach, research, and other activities related to the prevention and eradication of rat lungworm disease.

deworming rats to reduce rat lungworm transmission;

Wouldn't it require a similar effort to kill the rats? New Zealand is undertaking a program to rid the entire county of rats by 2050. If they have a plan, Big Island could simply copy it, eliminating the need for expensive studies, testing, and trials. Put all the money straight into the most effective method. No rats, no rat lungworm.

Thanks for the link to submit testimony Eric1600. The bill sounds like a good place to start.

Recycle Puna. Humans, although probably not you personally, have already left 400,000 pounds of trash on the moon. - YouTube's Half As Interesting
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
"New Zealand is undertaking a program to rid the entire county of rats . . . Big Island could simply copy it."

This assumes a degree of organizational and fiscal competence light years beyond anything we've seen, or are likely to see, in Hawaii County. I suppose we can dream, though.
Imagine a Hawaii with no rats or mosquitoes! Kill the vectors!
quote:
Originally posted by Chunkster

"New Zealand is undertaking a program to rid the entire county of rats . . . Big Island could simply copy it."

This assumes a degree of organizational and fiscal competence light years beyond anything we've seen, or are likely to see, in Hawaii County. I suppose we can dream, though.

I think they want to utilize gene editing. How do you suppose that would go over around here?
utilize gene editing. How do you suppose that would go over around here?

If a GMO rat is a dead rat, I would be curious to hear the arguments against the technology.
Don't forget to send in testimony supporting the bill HB474, see original post above.

Recycle Puna. Humans, although probably not you personally, have already left 400,000 pounds of trash on the moon. - YouTube's Half As Interesting
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by randomq

Imagine a Hawaii with no rats or mosquitoes! Kill the vectors!

No mosquitos sounds pretty good right about now... When was the last dengue patient anyway?
quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

utilize gene editing. How do you suppose that would go over around here?

If a GMO rat is a dead rat, I would be curious to hear the arguments against the technology.

The argument is called unintended consequences. Once upon a time the smartest people in the room thought bringing in mongeese would get rid of the rats.
Yesterday's hearing results:

2/27/2018
The committees on FIN recommend that the measure be PASSED, UNAMENDED.

The votes were as follows: 11 Ayes: Representative(s) Luke, Cullen, Cachola, DeCoite, Fukumoto, Gates, Holt, Keohokalole, Nakamura, Todd, Yama****a; Ayes with reservations: none; Noes: none; and 4 Excused: Representative(s) Kobayashi, Lowen, Tupola, Ward.

It's weird that the Bill on their website still shows boilerplate nonsense like the budget is blank and the bill takes effect July 1, 2112.