Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USPS now most expensive for shipping off island
(This post does not apply to flat rate boxes, first-class mail, surface, or media mail. It generally applies to items over 16 ounces that normally only qualify for the non-flat-rate "Priority Mail" designation).

For 2 decades since moving off the mainland the USPS was always the cheapest way to get things there- but the last several years of USPS rate increases have been brutal. I didn't realize how much so until this week.

For the first time in a long time, I had to ship something to the mainland that would not fit into a flat-rate box and was over 16 ounces.

The USPS rate was just over $50 for a 13 pound package barely larger than a flat rate box. But I get a commercial-based discount, so it was only $47 and some change. (What a deal!) There were more expensive options, way over $100, for 2 day "Express" services.

Thinking there had to be a better way, I shopped around. FedEx and UPS were all within a dollar or two of the USPS $50 price for the "rack rate" (no discounts) but came with the added benefits of 2ish day delivery GUARANTEE, real tracking information, and packages not arriving all banged up. This had never happened to me before that USPS was the worst option.

Instead of shipping the box FedEx through their I-don't-have-an-account web site I called them up and setup a business account, got a shipping ID, and then shipped through the web site.

The same box that cost over $50 through USPS was only $31 through Fedex (including all surcharges), and although that was the 2-day price, it is scheduled for delivery the next day! Plus, I'm dealing with employees that don't act like they hate their lives and it's highly unlikely my package will get routed through the Marshall Islands and take 5 weeks to get delivered like a flat-rate Priority Mail package we mailed to Kentucky for Christmas last year. But if it does, I'll get a refund on my shipping costs!

(My experience is for items shipped FROM Hawaii, I don't know about rates TO Hawaii).

So the moral of the story is the same as every other Hawaii shopping experience: Shop around.

ETA: Grammar

I can hardly wait until Bezos buys the USPS. Or builds his own version(with blackjack and hookers of course).
I don't think your title should be so all encompassing.

I typically ship 3-4 pounds both Domestic and International. Small,compact box but product does not fit in "Flat Rate"

4 pounds as of today. Did not add insurance. But note USPS Priority is 50.00 automatic still.

USPS Priority 20.05 3-5 Days. same box > 7.80 to other islands with overnight delivery.

Fed Ex. 41.21 2nd day and 75.53 for a larger box of same weight. "Ground service not available. "

UPS 25.07 for 5 day and 45.50 2day(3)

Prices for residential, w/ me dropping off.

ETA 56.80 for USPS Guaranteed 2nd (mainland) day.

IMO USPS still the best value.
| Or builds his own version(with blackjack and hookers of course). |

I think thats what he is working on.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/bo...o-network/

Okay Google... Who are these people and why ain't they working?
Sigh...I work for the USPS, at the retail counter - helping customer mail items all over the world.

That being said:

"(This post does not apply to flat rate boxes, first-class mail, surface, or media mail.) It generally applies to items over 16 ounces that normally only qualify for the non-flat-rate "Priority Mail" designation)."

The services that your post does NOT APPLY TO covers about 95% of the Post Offices' retail packaging services. Mailing parcels weighing up to 70 lbs to the mainland at a cost of any where from $7.20 to $18.90 is an excellent deal. Caveat, one has to use flat rate packaging. The Post Office is like most other large businesses, its prices and services are skewed towards preferred products. The services that provides the most return. Fit the niche, you're gold - don't fit it and you pay more.

"The same box that cost over $50 through USPS was only $31 through Fedex (including all surcharges)"

While I am delighted that the charge here worked out in your favor, I work with postal customers every day. For every one story like yours, there are at least 10 others where postal parcel services were much cheaper than FedEx or UPS. Especially where flat rate packaging and international services are concerned.

" Plus, I'm dealing with employees that don't act like they hate their lives"

Generalize much? I've worked for the USPS for some years and at various locations around Hawaii. From my perspective, the vast majority of postal employees care about customer service. I witness the daily behind-the-counter scenes where employees research and strive to resolve issues. Unfortunately, mistakes and missent mailings do happen - however, I think one would be hard pressed to not appreciate the effort put forth by most USPS employees.

As an aside, working with and for the general public is - at a minimum - sometimes not a picnic either.

"So the moral of the story is the same as every other Hawaii shopping experience: Shop around."

I wholeheartedly agree.

Mike in HPP
(edited to include who I am)
Mailing parcels weighing up to 70 lbs to the mainland

The 70-lb limit applies to international shipments, not domestic.
Some people here like to bash the USPS and its workers even ones that have long since retired. Thanks for speaking up OI. Loving my Hilo USPSs and the friendly faces that greet you with a smile and remember so many of our names.

Note to anyone shipping Internationally, USPS rules in ease and on time reliability. FedEx and UPS are not worth the hassle and potential for long delays. JMO.
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

Mailing parcels weighing up to 70 lbs to the mainland

The 70-lb limit applies to international shipments, not domestic.

The 70 lb limit applies to both international and and domestic. I was referring to Flat Rate Priority Parcel services. Priority Flat Rate's weight limits are 70lb domestic and 20lb internationally. One can mail up to 70lbs internationally, and it can go Priority Mail, but it will not be flat rate - and will be, depending upon destination, very costly.

Mike in HPP
I love the Keaau PO staff... one had a letter addressed to "(my first name and my partner's first name), Keaau, Hawaii" and it landed in our PO Box right on time. On a couple of occasions when mainland shippers ignored my specific instructions and mailed to our physical address instead of the PO Box, the staff made a point of keeping an eye out for the misaddressed packages and made sure they got to us ASAP. In short, they're nothing short of professional, especially considering some of the interactions I've witnessed.

So yeah, compare the rates and go with your preferred service, but don't knock the staff, who don't set the rates and , for the most part, do their best under challenging circumstances.
As a former USPS career-appointed employee myself, it was never my intention to knock the people that work there. The FedEx employees are just happier. There are a lot of reasons why, but that is a topic for another thread.