Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaii Magazine Article About Shipman Beach
Well written article about Shipman Beach and the hike along Old Puna Trail. I've been there often, but was surprised by several historical events that occurred on or around the property, for example:

... filmmaker Cecil B. Demille, one of the founders of the Hollywood motion picture industry, chose as the setting for his 1934 film, “Four Frightened People*.” The place is also memorialized in Hawaiian musician and hula dancer Helen Desha Beamer’s song, “Lei o Haena.” Amelia Earhart, Cole Porter and Paul Newman were guests at Haena, along with many other luminaries in politics, business and the arts.

The (Shipman) family bought the 65,000 acres from King Lunalilo’s estate after his death. In order to uphold the late king’s wishes to build a home for sick and elderly Hawaiians in Honolulu.

The photos are nice too.
https://www.hawaiimagazine.com/content/t...big-island

* Four Frightened People https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i59mdSK1tRk

I said, ‘Wrong, Justin (Trudeau), you do.’ I didn’t even know. ... I had no idea. I just said, ‘You’re wrong.’ - President Donald J. Trump, 3/14/18
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Thanks for the link. How many people were on-island and remember the protest to create better public access to Shipman Beach? I believe it was in the late-1980s. Quite a few people were involved (50-100?). They wanted to march down the main road to the beach (the road starts somewhere makai of Keaau.)

On the protest day, they tried to pass Shipman's locked gate. I recall that an African American man chained himself to the gate. He had a bicycle lock around his neck through the fence; the Trib had a photo of him. He stated: "I'll be here as long as it takes."

(If the police wanted to be humorous about it, they could have just waited him out; sooner or later he would have either gotten tired of standing or had to answer a call of nature. They could have then razzed him when he voluntarily took the lock off. They cut his lock.)

He and a few other people got arrested for failing to clear off private property (most people dispersed upon order). I don't recall how that movement started, but it certainly seems to have quietly faded into history...
Last time I heard anyone from Shipman talk about it they said there is no legal trail because their land court deed ( erased?) the old government road.