Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's allow some native species to become extinct
We should perform triage and allow some species to die out, because of 1) the extreme cost of saving them and 2) evidence that they do not play a critical role in their ecosystem.

This N.Y. Times article focuses heavily on Hawaii and lays out the issue well.

Better for researchers to spend time on pressing projects like Rapid Ohia Death than to try to save some of Hawaii's obscure birds and snails, IMO.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/13/magazine/should-some-species-be-allowed-to-die-out.html?hpw&rref=magazine&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=well-region®ion=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well
Darwinism works for me.
Species have come and gone with or without people involved.

Maybe our "saving" of any particular species will have a drastic unintended consequence in the future.
Humans have shown a tendency at times to try to save the "cute" species such as pandas while not paying attention to more practical ones such as obscure insect crop pollinators. Fortunately, this seems to be changing.
"Of all species that have existed on Earth, 99.9 percent are now extinct."

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/extinc...nt_03.html
The dino-killing asteroid that hit the Yucatan Peninsula 66 million years ago was natural but I would do almost anything to avoid a repeat. So would all the rest of you. I have never accepted the "It's natural" argument, usually because it rarely is true but even so...
quote:
Originally posted by leilanidude

Species have come and gone with or without people involved.

Maybe our "saving" of any particular species will have a drastic unintended consequence in the future.

Yeah, but they're going a lot faster with humans involved. Look up "6th mass extinction". It's likely that our "not saving" some of the particular species will have undesirable consequences for us in the future.
"Darwinism works for me."

Darwin never really considered how humans would affect evolution. Evolution happens, sure, but we are changing things far too quickly for nature to handle things as it used to. We're intelligent enough to know this, but some of this so-called intelligence wants to make our island and the rest of the world uninhabitable in a couple of hundred years. In a way, I guess that really is Darwinism in action - we are killing ourselves.
some of this so-called intelligence wants to make our island and the rest of the world uninhabitable

Yes. What if humans "kill off" a particular species due to our extensive impact on the planet and atmosphere? A species that would not otherwise die out? Isn't it possible the human induced extinction of that species could have drastic unintended consequences for the future?

I said, ‘Wrong, Justin (Trudeau), you do.’ I didn’t even know. ... I had no idea. I just said, ‘You’re wrong.’ - President Donald J. Trump, 3/14/18
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
What if humans "kill off" a particular species due to our extensive impact on the planet and atmosphere? A species that would not otherwise die out? Isn't it possible the human induced extinction of that species could have drastic unintended consequences for the future?
----------
What if "some species" kills off humans?
What is the difference?