Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
County to build homeless camp in pahoa
It was on the news that they were going to build camps like the one in Kona. But didn’t give a site location for pahoa or Kau
Pahoa is already a homeless camp.
Perfection.
On target.
It should have some farming facilities/opportunties. Vegetable garden, plant a few trees. See if we can get some of these folks to work 1 - 4 hours a day, possible instill a little work ethic.

We need to be gentle here, because right now most of folks aren't doing squat. Physical labor might be a real shock to them.
This has been successful for 28 years in Santa Cruz, CA (not unlike Pahoa).

http://www.homelessgardenproject.org/
When we moved here, I said, "Ohmigod, the whole island's Santa Cruz!"
Oh yeah, because I really want to watch Pahoa turn into Santa Cruz.
Thanks for link, DoryGray. Most prisoners should be on farms too. Farms are therapeutic for troubled people and a good place to be.

But because of the legacy of southern work farms and admitted mistreatment that occurred on them decades ago, we have liberals fixated on the notion that any placement of either homeless or prison inmates on farms is abuse. Even if work is limited to 1-3 hours a day.

I guess they prefer large numbers of homeless squatting in public parks all day doing nothing and inmates in confined prisons doing nothing all day.
I too feel there should be a work requirement, though I suspect many would rather be drunk on the streets than required to do anything. I've volunteered at shelters before, and noticed the homeless never showed up to help clean, sand, paint, etc. One time after busting ass all day I walked into the courtyard for some air and noticed a bunch of healthy 20-40 something homeless dudes doing absolutely nothing while waiting for us to be gone and dinner to be served in a couple hours...

I also have a best friend that was homeless, and went on to own a business and employ other people. Pretty sure she would have worked a few hours for room and board, though she was also working a real job to save and get back on her feet.

Maybe you just require progress? Like, they put in a few more hours at the shelter, or stayed sober, or saved some money, or took some job training and applied, etc.