Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
What was the Golden Age of Hawai'i?
while i try to look on the positive side, many of the complaints that kama'aina levy about Hawai'i are valid. So i started looking back in time as to when Hawai'i had it better. Well, in the 70's up until like, 2012, there was Operation Green Harvest which hurt innumerable coffee farmers because they couldn't survive just on coffee, so they grew pakalolo to supplement their income. countless native Hawai'ians were displaced and even more were driven into poverty or homelessness.

So, going back farther than the 70's, well, Hawai'i only recently became a state in 1959...so before Operation Green Harvest, Hawai'i was still reeling from a bunch of asshole white plantation owners sticking a gun in their queens face and illegally taking the islands.

So, when was the Hawai'ian golden age when people were mostly happy?

Aloha Smile
Aloha Smile
Judging by the comments under the Punaweb topic:
Life is great because:

I'd have to say right about now.

“Fiction reveals truth that reality obscures.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Taking all people in the islands collectively, definitely before the 1980s when the first homelessness started appearing. In the 1970s virtually all people in the islands had a place to live.

Fewer hard drugs, less tension caused by super-rich newcomers moving to Hawaii and dislocating life for people already here....
People have never been healthier and wealthier than now. I doubt there would be many takers for a time machine to way back when.
FWIW, even with the current spike caused by meth and all the rest, violent crime here was about twice as high in the 70s as it is now.
The Golden Age was before humans arrived !

Lets return to that time by abandoning the Big Island !
Remove all signs of human habitation and relocate everyone to Mars.
I'm not going to Mars until I can roll down the windows of my rocketship. I'll stay here. It's golden enough for me.
Certainty will be the death of us.
According to the original series of Hawaii Five-0, there was a huge murder rate in the late 60s and in the 70s, so it does seem much safer now...
It was a somewhat tongue-in-cheek comment, Obie!
When the territory of Hawaii Nei was Hawaii the Territory and NOT a state from Americana.
Before Caucasians .
Before red lights.
Before trespassers on our aina.
Before big box stores .
Before illegal drugs and hippies and 420.
Before homelessness.
Before taxes .
Before cell phones - the internet and jet travel .
Those were our Golden years.
Mrs.Mimosa