Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Home Defense Shooting? Or Mistaken Victim?
We often have debates on Punaweb about the right to protect our homes with a gun. I thought the news story from Oahu and linked article (below) would be good for all of us to read.

A week ago, a Navy sailor of over 20 years was shot dead on the porch of a house near his own residence at 3 AM in Ewa Beach. The homeowner fired through the closed front door and killed the victim on the porch.

The shooter / homeowner was initially brought in for attempted murder, but no charges were filed.

The sailor was "a well-respected senior enlisted leader in the Pearl Harbor submarine community". Was he simply trying to get home (the wrong home) after a late night out? Or did something occur on the porch, with the front door still closed that caused the homeowner inside to fear for his life, when his life may never have been in danger? We'll probably never know what really occurred.

http://www.kitv.com/story/37981223/navy-...h-shooting
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Happens everywhere, not sure how its puna related.
We don't get many Monk Seals in Puna but that didn't stop you from posting either! Best to let Rob police his own forum RWR.
It's Puna related because many of us in East Hawaii have been victims of theft and some of us regularly contemplate: Next time I catch a thief of my property I'm going to do X.

The Oahu case appears to demonstrate that immediate violent reactions to a supposed trespassing thief can be a major error. I think we can conclude the shooting victim was not a thief but possibly drunk or disoriented and accidentally wandered to the wrong door.
okEE joe,

I'll run my opinions past your filter next time.

God bless.
I had a similar reaction. I don't particularly want volunteer moderators.

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Some Related Statistics.

[Moderator: Now you are bringing in material that is not Hawaii or Puna related. Please don't.]
Hope he got some video or recording of the situation + some solid witnesses.
There must be more to the story
Unless there were bullets come in thru the door shooting thru the door at an unknown is unjustified.
I don't like shooting an unarmed person through the door. If they break down the door, then by all means, shoot them in the doorway. Fearing for your safety must be a rational thing. How was he going to harm you through the door? Order them to leave, call 911, cover the doorway with your weapon but wait for the police or the suspect to escalate before firing your weapon. I agree with the OP that there is more to the story than we are being told. *p.s. Prosecutorial payback for Deedy?