Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So... If you were going to buy a truck...
Hopefully I'm posting in the right forum. If not just let me know and I'll put it where you want it.

I'm wondering about buying a 4x truck. I'll be buying used and it seems that trucks are beat and pretty pricy for what you get on the BI. While if I buy from the mainland and ship it I might still be ahead even with the $1200 to get it there. I've also looked at auto auctions but most seem to be on Oahu or aren't very well advertised.
Thoughts?
Thanks,
Jim
Ship it!
It is just my experience but I don't find pick up trucks very useful in a rainy climate. Limited dry space and maximum unsecure space. I have found a van more useful.

I had a 4x4 jeep for several years and frankly actually used the 4x feature very rarely. I finally decided I could simply rent a 4x for those occasions I needed to go to the top of Mauna Kea or down into Waipio Valley. Gas is expensive. A 2x vehicle has worked out fine on my farm too.

Lastly, buying on Oahu is a decent compromise. Reasonable selection, relatively inexpensive inter-island freight.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
I've heard that it's difficult to find parts for "domestic" and your best bet is a Toyota...
Buy a Toyota on the mainland and ship it here. You will be way ahead of the overpriced junk that is here.
Ship a Toyota. Get lift work & bumpers done over there.
It really depends on the sort of truck you're after.
Small trucks are pretty abundant over here.
Full size pickups are also abundant, including ton and half or better basic models SRW.
Full size heavy duty, ton and half or better, dually/drw, loaded... you're going to run into supply issues here.

The biggest issue I ran across was impractical suspension modifications/lifted. Went for a mainland purchase.

Full size crew cab long beds will cost $1850 to ship and that's after getting a waiver through the Matson oversized vehicles agent.

Check the local dealerships, including the smaller dealerships, some lean towards commercial and light commercial.
Got a whipped '96 dodge, 4wd, 1500, 5.4 liter gas, with rack and accented with rust and tapping lifter, failed AC with a harsh 160k miles. It needs to go, bye bye. Wink
Thanks all. Yes looking for a farm truck. Was thinking F150 for after market parts and ease of working on not but have driven a Toy in the past and like their fuel efficiency and how close the wheels are to each other for off road.

Rob_Tucker, when you say "farm" do you mean an ag subdivision? I'm in HA and everyone I have spoken to says 4x only. It seems to me that if I drive it slow I should be able to get away with 2x but any grade with mud and I'm stuck. I'm going to need a truck to build and plant I figure.
Yoda or F150 would be my choice ....if not a 4x4 make sure it has a limited slip rear end...my 2 cents