Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Guide: Puna does not exist
I have bought a couple of book on Hawai'i from Amazon.com, so I get an e-mail from them listing a new book "The Complete Big Island of Hawaii Guidebook" by B. Sangwan and David Russ. I can look at the table of contents on line and when I do, I see that there is a section on each area, except Puna. So, is it a conspriacy to keep quite so no one knows, or are these guys just out to lunch on the best part of the Big Island?

Aloha,
Rob L
Aloha,
Rob L
They wouldn't be the first to overlook Puna. Just look at the County of Hawaii when it came time to dole out amenities like parks, police, etc. Actually, I've seen several guide books which include Puna subtexts in the "East Hawaii" or even "Hilo" sections. One Kona-obsessed book's total reference to Puna was for a couple hours' drive on the Red Road if you couldn't find enough stuff at the volcano to keep you interested all day.

It's just as well. Most of those people wouldn't understand our cultural penchant for lava tube bunnies, sacrificing Brianna to Pele, or endless discussions of catchment water and which of our substandard subdivisions are the least substandard from any given person's point of view. Only a Punatic "gets" Puna.

Cheers,
Jerry
Anyone who thinks Puna is well thought of in the RE world, not! At work I'm labeled a hippie grower! And I'm a forman!
Gordon J Tilley
These folks writing these bizarre books are the same ones who consider Honokaa as something you drive through to get to Waipio valley. And it rains too much in Hilo. What have they got against rain, anyway?

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
gtill,
What kind of fertilizer do you use to grow hippies? Organic or chemical?

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
quote:
What kind of fertilizer do you use to grow hippies? Organic or chemical?

Silly Carol! Organic, of course, and in many cases it's horse sh*t.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.