Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
North Carolina Sending CD and Fire Officials
I am greatly encouraged by this development.

An admission by Hawaii officials that they really do need help is a positive thing. Having mainland trained civil defense and fire management officials here will be a positive step.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/2018/05/20...p-in-hilo/

From the article:

"RALEIGH, N.C. >> North Carolina officials say 10 emergency managers and fire service officials will work in Hawaii on the response to the erupting Kilauea volcano.

The state Department of Public Safety said in a news release that the 10 left Saturday after Hawaii’s state emergency management agency requested help.

The North Carolina team will work in Hilo and will support the Hawaii County Civil Defense agency.

Team members come from emergency management agencies in Bladen, Gates, Lee, McDowell, Moore and Onslow counties; fire departments in Cary, Charlotte and Greensboro and from N.C. Emergency Management.
"

leilanidude's above post on our local Government's request for help......

"I am greatly encouraged by this development.

An admission by Hawaii officials that they really do need help is a positive thing. Having mainland trained civil defense and fire management officials here will be a positive step."

Absolutely agree!!! Wed. morning, I watched a very large military transport aircraft come in for a landing at the Hilo airport. No idea of what it's cargo was , but It too, gave me comforting feeling.

We need all the help we can get, and this is good. People in the S-A comments are wondering why the other counties of Hawaii aren't helping, though.
I wish I could be a fly on the wall the first time Harry Kim tells them they can't do their job!
quote:
Originally posted by Chunkster

We need all the help we can get, and this is good. People in the S-A comments are wondering why the other counties of Hawaii aren't helping, though.

I saw those comments and most were rather disheartening. They tend to try and discourage the experienced mainland help because they aren't experienced with lava flows. Well. Guess what. Neither is our own county or the other counties in Hawaii. Our own Civil Defense is floundering.
quote:
Originally posted by reni

Wed. morning, I watched a very large military transport aircraft come in for a landing at the Hilo airport. No idea of what it's cargo was , but It too, gave me comforting feeling.

Don't read too much into the landing of military transport planes at Hilo Airport...they do "touch and go" training landings there on a regular basis. Eat a late breakfast at Ken's sometime and you'd think we were about to be invaded - the planes land and take off, circle back, rinse repeat...

Maui did send firefighters to help set up command centers after the big earthquakes, but they've returned home. Kauai folks are probably still working on their flood issues. But where is O'ahu???

Also, extra staff from anywhere will be helpful. Although our CD staff apparently leaves much to be desired, there are only about 7 or 8 of them, and they have been doing long hour shifts, so we should cut them a bit of slack.
North Carolina officials say 10 emergency managers and fire service officials will work in Hawaii on the response to the erupting Kilauea volcano.

that's a touch more than "Also, extra staff from anywhere will be helpful." kr...
I wonder why North Carolina, specifically, gives a **** about Hawai'i. It's pretty damn far away, and there isn't a large population of native Hawai'ians in North Carolina, is there? From what I understand, the largest mainland population of native folks is in Arizona, isn't it?

Aloha Smile
Aloha Smile
Just be glad they do. North Carolina has some darn good people there.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
They will leave frustrated.