Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any precedent for condemnation...?
Anyone know of any precedent regarding homes in evacuation zones? If an evacuation is required for an extended period, homes and other structures can deteriorate. This is more important for those put out of their primary residences, particularly those with mortgages to be paid. My situation is low priority, as I am not a full-time resident. All the same, I wonder how these situations have played out in the past. Does the county have the authority to condemn housing? If that happens, are the structures razed? Or do houses remain standing, barred from occupancy and left to deteriorate?
You bring up some good points.

In this case, I do not image the county going in to raze any houses due to their own version of danger to county workers. They do have the right to condemn property. If they do, you still owe your mortgage but your insurance may step in.

Something to consider - most of the insurance policies have a clause which states that the insurance is void if the property is vacated for more than 30 days. I know mine does, which is via Lloyd's of London. I evacuated and the house is still standing and not covered with any ash, tephra, cinders. It is not possible (at least without a helicopter) to get to my house.I do not have lava/volcano insurance either.

My policy has a very specific, one line clause that specifically states there is no coverage for peril caused by lava/volcano, even for loss of use.
@ld or anyone else that might know the answer.

Would my visit to my home yesterday reset the vacancy period?

I can see that I might need to go in to do maintenance such as lawn mowing and other things to keep from voiding insurance.

When we bought, our insurance [Lloyds] had a lava, and loss of use exclusion.
It was accepted by the bank.
All subsequent renewals had the same exclusions.

Being as we have those exclusions and lava flow and loss of use loss are not covered, my thinking is that renewal should not be affected by the lava.
Of course that is wishful thinking on my part.
How might that stack up with reality?
- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, back to being a nonpartisan again.
This time, I can no longer participate in the primary.
Why would U want to renew that insurance? Since hurricanes never hit Hawaii Island (as hurricanes, always downgraded to tropical storms) fire, lava and EQ insurance would be the main thing I want my home insurance to cover!
Would my visit to my home yesterday reset the vacancy period?
--------
ABSOLUTELY! Document every overnight stay!
@ 1V1
----
HPIA has re-opened the chance to obtain coverage with lava included. Apply immediately. The cost is $225 to apply and there is a 180 day waiting period. Weird thing is that hurricane coverage is not available. My new coverage will take affect Nov 27. I hope my place holds out until then, or we do have a hurricane, in which case, my Lloyds policy covers hurricanes...

edit - typos..
@FS
Meeting the requirements of the mortgage makes the insurance Mandatory.
With that said, I think it'll be very unlikely that they would foreclose under the present conditions.
That doesn't lessen my curiosity on the subject.
Down the road they could use non compliance to repossess, if they saw a financial benefit to doing so.

@ld
Overnight visits are not allowed by the county [yet], only daytime visits that I know of.
EDIT:
Keep your hopes up ld.
Depression Carlotta has formed.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, back to being a nonpartisan again.
This time, I can no longer participate in the primary.
@leilanidude - Thanks for the HPIA information, I am looking into that. I think you and I have similar insurance policies. Mine has pages and pages of exclusions and almost nothing about what it covers. I had asked my agent to let me know when I could get a better policy that would include lava, never heard anything from them.

Still curious how the county treats evacuated homes in the long term. This could go on for years.