Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lahaina Noon 2019 - Hilo - May 18th
(This OP 2018, scroll down for 2019]
Mark your calendars, the Lahaina Noon, when the summer sun is directly overhead and you cast no shadow, will occur in Hilo on Tuesday, July 24 at 12:26 p.m. (There was also a Lahaina Noon in May, so this will be the second and final appearance for 2018.)

Hawaii is the only place in the US where this phenomenon takes place.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Sounds like a good reason to celebrate that day.

Enter the tribal drum circles rich with herbal aromas and the frolicking, scantly clad young hippie maidens. (if they didn't all move away that is.)
All we have left is batu drunk circles with crystal aromas and stealing and scratching ripper hags! Run for the hills!
I wonder if you'll get the same effect in Kona? We'll have checked out of our rental near Honokaa on that day and be in Kona by then... I'll put a reminder on the calendar and see what we see.
get the same effect in Kona?

Probably, but a couple minutes later. Safe bet someone on these forums can calculate it exactly.
HNN says no true Lahina Noon for Kona - quick, make a Lahina Noon viewing area in Pahoa and get those tourists over here! However, viewing of solar nuclear fusion probably doesn't meet county safety requirements, so may be best to find a more risk tolerant location - HNN has a list of the possible dates and times.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/38647...haina-noon
We could create an event like Ground Hog Day, Mongoose Day, to draw tourist here since land based lava viewing is forbidden.

If our mongoose, Pahoa Paul, comes out of his lava tube and does not see his shadow at Lahaina Noon we will have 60 more days of summer.
get the same effect in Kona?
----------
No, the sun can't shine thru the vog...
Thanks for the reminder, I’d never knowingly experienced that before!
When the sun is shining at Imiloa, the whole entry mosaic is illuminated at Lahaina noon (it was not, so we went to Reeds Bay & got "standing in the water, shadows disappearing" images for today...actual overhead had a bit of clouds, so the next best images were a couple of minutes early & late... so a might bit of a shadow)