Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uber and Lyft are allowed airport pickup
This is great for Honolulu. I go there often and the rates are about half what taxi's charge. Starts August 24th. They said it also applies to neighbor island airports "but" the way hawaii county works...it probably will take years.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/2018/08/15...d764fa32a2
Right about this county. It took years to get bus service to the Hilo Airport, and the Kona airport service remains a joke. Entrenched interests with good old boy connections don't like competition.
Once the program is established on the neighbor islands, ride-hailing drivers there would remit 3 percent of their gross airport pickup receipts to the state.

I just love it when the State taxes economic activity that doesn't really involve them. When can we get some local autonomy?
Excellent news!
The local Hawaii County taxi companies give discounted taxi service (via coupons) to CoH officials.... does that explain anything?
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
I just checked Lyft and used the Black Rock in Pahoa as a pickup location and set the drop off for the airport in Hilo. It allows drop off anyway. Gave a price of $42 which is about 1/2 of what the taxi charges.