Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grocery Store Impact
I am considering going into Hilo today to get some needed groceries and some $5.00 Friday specials at Safeway. But with Young Brothers stopping container barges to all islands on Tueday...I was wondering if the shelves and a lot of popular and perishable items like vegetables,fruits, meat, poultry,seafood and alcohol(God forbid) may be lacking or empty. Anyone that went shopping recently notice a lack of grocery items, or empty shelves?
Was at Wally Mart yesterday and there was plenty of everything, except customers, probably cuz the driving conditions were so iffy (was picking up Mom at the airport or we wouldn't have been out and about either).
supposed to stay off the roads if at all possible. Tap into that emergency foodstuff and reload on the perishables when this stops.

Of course there are cravings and emergencies. Understandable then.
Yes, EW, when Frau Chunkster runs out of mint chocolate chip ice cream, it's an emergency, and something has to be done . . . fast!
Mountain View Mini Mart has a backup generator: they still have gas, cold beer, ice cream even when the grid is down.
I completely understand it Chunkster.

I'm out of brussel sprouts and asparagus spears, thinking of making a run myself. [:p] -kidding!

No wait, my subdivision is a swamp. I'm stuck here. -not kidding!
The Hawaiian Acres waterfall is raging, lots of big puddles and streams on Moho but totally navigable. Back roads not so much, there are a few 2-4 ft deep areas that I would not drive anything smaller than a truck through.

That said, we made it through today, mostly out of cabin fever and a desire for fresh vegetables. J Hara and Kea'au Foodland were both open and well stocked. Parking lot in Kea'au was still 60% full...
Just got back from taking Chunkdog to the vet, and it was spooky in the Hilo retail district when I stopped to pick up some things. There were nearly empty parking lots and only a few empty spots on the store shelves. And yes, Safeway had Frau Chunkster's ice cream, so I got some. This lingering mess of a storm might disrupt barge traffic significantly, so I went for it and stocked up.
Thanks...We ultimately decided to stay home. Glad we did. It will be better tomorrow.....I hope
Don't count on it. Looks like three more days of rain.
Certainty will be the death of us.