Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will the torrential rains benefit Volcano & Puna?
By washing off a lot of the ash that fell in the Volcano area? And by rejuvenating plant life in Puna that suffered from months of eruption fumes?
washing off a lot of the ash

Yes, probably.
But at this point, it’s maybe getting to be too much of a good thing.

“What you’re seeing and what you’re reading is not what’s happening.” - President Donald J. Trump, 7/25/18
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Thx. Somewhere I read a huge amount of ash at HVNP was affecting park recovery.
Perhaps it will convince fissure 8 to recede for good.
Too bad we can't share this with Washington State, those wildfires would be pau in no time!
Might even give us a good start on our new lake that will sit in Fissure 8.

The areas affected severely by the SOx gasses are only strips along the edges of the flow and the downwind side of the fissure.
In those areas with little doubt the vegetation may all be completely dead.
Regeneration will take time and will probably be by invasives.

Our place had been affected noticeably and was almost a mile from F8.
We did have effects from the gasses.
The vegetation had already begun to recover several weeks ago.
Only a very few if any plants have been killed outright.
If any thing, this amount of rain is more likely to do harm to the recovering vegetation.

After experiencing ashfalls in WA from Mt.St. Helens, and from Mt. Spur in AK, I see the local variety as little more than a minor irritant.

- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, back to being a nonpartisan again.
This time, I can no longer participate in the primary.
@MarkDBy washing off a lot of the ash that fell in the Volcano area? And by rejuvenating plant life in Puna that suffered from months of eruption fumes?

That amount of rain is not good for any plant life except maybe stuff like Taro, rice, water hyacinths, and lilies.

The volcanic ash did not need to be washed away (as far as horticultural needs) The ash provides nutrients to plants.

So the rains may benefit the area somehow but not in the way you were thinking.
its helping out Ka'u! [:o)] it was very brown before cuz no rain and lots of volcanic emissions messed up all the plants! but now they are all green and happy [Big Grin]

Aloha Smile
Aloha Smile