Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Internet in HPP
We are closing escrow soon on a home in middle HPP off of Paradise. We have an online business so need the most reliable, fast internet as is available. Who is the best provider in that area? Seems our choices are possible Spectrum, Hawaiian Telcom, and maybe Verizon broadband. We had Verizon internet in Leilani and it was great, never any problems. Worth the extra cost. Mahalo for any input or advice!
I started with a Hawaiian Telcom. They might be better now, but they had terrible service, it took 18 months of begging to get them to send someone out to check the line when I had an intermittent problem. They had been “testing” the line, & when I finally asked them, testing from where, they admitted it was from Honolulu. I convinced them that might not be as accurate as they’d like me to believe, as my internet was still not working as it should.

Now I have Spectrum, I’m mostly happy with them. They initiate repairs fairly fast. Even after Iselle they were up and running quicker than I expected. My landline with Hawaiian Telcom after Iselle took over a month to repair, and they didn’t want to credit me for lack of service, because they said the date of credit starts when the outage is reported. I asked how they expected me to call them to report the outage when all their phone lines were down....

At a White House meeting in June, President Trump reportedly told Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe that “I remember Pearl Harbor.”
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
If you're in the middle of HPP then I have to ask if you're sure that Spectrum is available.
Annoying company but good broadband.
If the "online business" is important, get two or three internets, they're cheap.

I'm partial to Telcom fiber; besides being the fastest, it doesn't conduct electricity (think lightning strikes).
Pretty much everything from middle HPP down to the ocean is lacking cable (fastest internet) with a few exceptions. They have cable along the oceanfront and they have cable on the Makuu side up through 4th. Some places in HPP (like 5th and Makuu on the dead end side where I live) don't have anything except your smartphone over the air carrier and even that is sporadic depending on where you stand on your property. Aloha Broadband has a relay tower in lower HPP that helps some of the people in that particular area....but it's relatively slow and if you live on the fringes of the subdivision your pretty much out of luck.
cable (fastest internet)

Spectrum doesn't do gigabit, last I checked.

"If the "online business" is important, get two or three internets, they're cheap."

Agreed, you'll want a wireless internet option to deal with our frequent outages, even if it's just a Verizon cellphone with "hotspot" ability. It will have fully acceptable speed when you don't need it, and when it's critical to have internet the speed will crawl (I have no idea what kind of diabolical technology they use to accomplish this) but something is better than nothing.

"I started with a Hawaiian Telcom. They might be better now, but they had terrible service..."

Their service does appear to have improved, maybe that is a requirement for the fat FCC subsidies that they have been getting paid. Since tax dollars are being taken from people who do not have access to Hawaiian Telcom internet, and given to the Hawaiian Telcom corporation, they should have damn fine customer service to anybody who calls them.
Aloha, and mahalo to all for your input and wisdom. I like the idea of having more than one service and never thought of that. Will check into Telcom fiber; that would be awesome. Will be making all the phone calls today to see what's available and at what pricing, so will report back.
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

cable (fastest internet)

Spectrum doesn't do gigabit, last I checked.

Yes, they do. They've been offering it in East Hawaii since early summer
and in West Hawaii since mid-August.
I had Spectrumfor the 18 months I lived in HPP. It was pretty reliable with no service calls. I paid for up to 100 megs and got 75. Then I switched to cheaper up to 50 megs and got 70. I couldn’t tell the difference. I moved to Orchardland, got fiber 100 and get 97 and have had one service call with same day service. I’m pretty sure you can’t get fiber in HPP. If I had a choice her I would go with Spectrum because with telcom fiber you must take their crappy fiber landline service if you want a phone.