Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Rock to play King Kamehameha
https://news360.com/article/468361232

This could be interesting. The Great Uniter...

Cheers,
Kirt

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/38988...n-new-film

Edit: added likely better link
I found this on the internet:

Johnson's father is a Black Canadian (Nova Scotian), and also has a small amount of Irish ancestry. His mother is from a Samoan family.

I don’t see The Rock’s heritage as a problem for him to play King Kamehameha, I’ll watch the movie, but will OHA claim cultural appropriation? Will there be protests like with Aloha Poke? I hope Puna & the law of the splintered paddle get featured screen time!

At a White House meeting in June, President Trump reportedly told Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe that “I remember Pearl Harbor.”
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
"Some Hawaiians in the community might take offense to a non Hawaiian, in this case a Polynesian to play this role."

a) I thought Hawaii was considered part of Polynesia.
b) Next time I see a non-Jew wearing Levis do I get to scream "Cultural Appropriation"?
Cultural appropriation is great and everyone should try it. One of the best parts of being American is you get to enjoy and share in so many cultures. Welcome to the melting pot!
I wonder just how accurate this film will be.
"I wonder just how accurate this film will be."

It looks as though it'll be a Hollywood movie. That should answer your question.
"Johnson, a former Hawaii resident will not only star in it, but he will produce the film through his Seven Bucks Productions company, along with several other producers."

Posted - 08/30/2018 : 19:08:04 Show Profile Reply with Quote
"Some Hawaiians in the community might take offense to a non Hawaiian, in this case a Polynesian to play this role."

I doubt it. Hawaiian people love Dwayne the Rock Johnson. And as previously stated at least he is half Polynesian and can pass as Hawaiian.
And this is important because . . . ?
And this is important because . . . ?

Because Puna might be in the movie.
The law of the splintered paddle was an important moment in the life of Kamehameha, and it took place on a reef somewhere in Puna. Hopefully there will be a scene with The Rock getting wacked over the head with a paddle, perhaps by Jason Momoa playing an average 1700’s Puna fisherman.

Does anyone know the specific location where it took place?

At a White House meeting in June, President Trump reportedly told Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe that “I remember Pearl Harbor.”
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves