Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Climate Change Over Time
In Hilo the average number of days a year over 90 degrees has increased from:

1960 - 8 days over 90 degrees
2018 - 41 days
2100 - 122 days

Here’s an app that allows you to put in your birth year and hometown, and see how temperatures are increasing over time:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018...etown.html

At a White House meeting in June, President Trump reportedly told Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe that “I remember Pearl Harbor.”
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
More interesting is what the oceanic changes that go with climatic change & how that impacts the Walker Circulation Cell.... aka trade-winds... and cyclonic storms... within the span of over 2 decades, the SST of the Pacific surrounding our islands has shown a marked upward temp increase, those adding the WV potential for cyclonic storms, increasing the sea level height (warm water expansion) and having the potential to create ENSO like changes in the Walker Circulation cells.. ie. changing the circulation from trade-wind dominate weather patterns to Kona wind dominate weather patterns...

https://coralreefwatch.noaa.gov/satellit...ct2017.pdf
http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/coasts/publi...ef_low.pdf
"Here’s an app that allows you to put in your birth year and hometown, and see how temperatures are increasing over time:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018...etown.html
"

I suspect that app was put together by some interns. According to that link the place I grew up in doesn't get above 90 degrees, which is not consistent with my experience. I tried it with another place I'm familiar with in CA and it said there had only been one day since the early 60s when the temperature was above 90. I know for a fact that is untrue.
I'm with you, Tom. There seems to be a problem with accuracy.

Peace and long life
Peace and long life
I don’t think the app was populated with precise info for every location worldwide. At best it offers a general idea within a general area. The locations I checked seemed roughly accurate from my past experience, but it’s certainly not as precise as a Guy Hagi 5 day forecast.

From the bottom of the article/app:
Methodology

For each year, the count of days at or above 90 degrees reflects a 21-year rolling average. Temperature observations for your hometown are averaged over an area of approximately 625 km² (240 square miles), and may not match single weather-station records.*

The time series is based on historical data for 1960-2000. The 2001-2020 period relies on a combination of historical data and future projections.

We do not include locations with fewer than three 90-degree days per year on average throughout the entire time period, or for selected other regions where day-to-day variation in maximum temperature is underestimated by the model.

A more detailed methodology is available from Climate Impact Lab:

http://www.impactlab.org/wp-content/uplo...Method.pdf

* so Hilo could possibly use weather data from Kona or Honolulu, or vice versa
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
The app was put together by a group of Climate Change conspiracy theorists, pay no attention.

As if any can really predict what the climate will be in 2100.

I just wish those who come up with these ridiculous predictions were made to pay somehow when they turn out to be not true, but that's the best part of making predictions for something 82 years from now, we'll all be dead when it supposedly comes to pass and no one will ever be able to prove you were wrong.

Funny thing about the Climate Change predictions made in the 70's and 80's, they failed to come true.

https://www.thenewamerican.com/tech/envi...everything

As Rob has said repeatedly, "Let's keep this board "Hawaiian".
"Let's keep this board "Hawaiian".

OK.
1) I posted a link for an app I found interesting, because it offered a look at past and future weather temperatures. We all love to talk about the weather. I included Hilo as an example since we live here, and it's part of their database.
2) Mangosteen claims it's all a conspiracy, and posts a link that's... all conspiracy.
3) I check the link, and search the page (including comments) for the term "Hawaii" and there's not a single hit. The link is entirely unrelated to Hawaii.
4) Mangosteen then states:
As Rob has said repeatedly, "Let's keep this board "Hawaiian".

I don't know if I'm connecting the dots here, but, I've only started on my second cup of coffee.

At a White House meeting in June, President Trump reportedly told Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe that “I remember Pearl Harbor.”
According to NOAA, so far in 2018 Hilo has had zero days over 90 degrees.

On March 28 the temp hit 90 (a record). I'm going to go out on a limb and say we're not going to hit >90 today, So we still need 41 days of >90 temps between tomorrow and Dec 31 for the 2018 claim to be accurate. 2100 is far enough in the future that the climate change pendulum could be swinging the other way, for all we know Mauna Kea will have a glacier on top of it.
So we still need 41 days of >90 temps between tomorrow and Dec 31 for the 2018 claim to be accurate.

Methodology

* For each year, the count of days at or above 90 degrees reflects a 21-year rolling average.
* ... your hometown are averaged over an area of approximately 625 km² (240 square miles), and may not match single weather-station records.

Shweew,,d good thing for those averages then .. lol.