Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Astronomy's impact on Hawaii
Hawaii Business Magazine has published an article on the impact of astronomy on Hawaii and the importance of diversity in our local economy:

"Reaching for the Stars: Astronomy’s Lifting Impact on Hawaii"

https://www.hawaiibusiness.com/reaching-for-the-stars/

"For more than five decades, astronomy has enriched young minds, fortified the local workforce and pumped millions of dollars into the economy.

Going forward, the industry could be pivotal in helping Hawaii Island rise from the devastating lava flows by enhancing economic diversity and continuing to provide a steady stream of revenue.
"
Cool article!

I hope it gets wider publication.

What does “sponsored” mean?

Cheers,
Kirt

It’s good to be reminded again of the many positive impacts astronomy has on the Big Island, for local employment, education, and business. The testimonials of support from leaders in our community hopefully will serve as a counterbalance to the emotional attention grabbing remarks that held sway over the past few years, many loaded with seemingly intentional inaccuracies geared toward maximum outrage, often unwarranted outrage.

I’m glad to see the CEO of KTA is a strong supporter of Hawaii astronomy. I shop for groceries there, and I in turn am glad to support their store.

Senior members of the Trump Administration described Trump's mood Wednesday as "volcanic." Wed, Sept 6, 2018
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
"What does “sponsored” mean?"

Kirt - I'll try and find out for you as many of the magazine's articles are tagged that way, and the answer is not obvious - it seems to me it's when they publish something that isn't written by their own staff but I don't really know.

I have to admit I like the first picture in the article - nice shot of UKIRT! Reminds me when I used to take sunset pictures up there all the time...
Kirt - I received an answer, sorry for the delay in replying. I'll try and summarize it.

Earlier this year, HB magazine contacted local businesses to advertise in an article called “The Future Is In The Past”. The article mistakenly included an article written by Sen. Kahele in it about the management of Mauna Kea. HB magazine decided to publish a "make good" article allowing the observatories to publish their own stuff. Since the first article was sponsored by local businesses, they decided that the article from the observatories should also be tagged as sponsored.
So the observatories did not actually sponsor it? Thanks for the clarification. Bit of a blunder by the magazine , makes it look like the observatories wrote it and paid to have it published.
Yes, I think that's accurate. I'm reading between the lines a little bit but it was local businesses who were invited to reply, not the observatories, but somehow Kahele's article ended up in it.

I haven't seen the original article and can't find it online, so guess it's subscription only or just in hard copy format only.