Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quoting and replying on PW
Just some suggestions as it seems some have trouble using the quote feature or making it clear who they are responding to when posting on PW.

1) If you use the quote feature, please make sure your reply comes after the [/quote] command. If you don't do that, your reply becomes part of the text you are quoting and makes it very difficult to figure out what you are saying.

2) If you simply use the "Quick Reply" field at the bottom of the page when viewing a thread, PLEASE make it clear who or what post you are replying to, otherwise it just looks as though you are responding to the previous post.

3) Just above the "Quick Reply" field are links which include "Reply to topic". This is my favorite as it allows you to cut and paste comments you are replying to and using the formatting options to distinguish between quotes and what you write.

Thanks for your consideration.

PS. There is also a "preview" button that allows one to actually look at their post and see if it looks OK before actually posting a reply. It's a nice feature that allows you to look at your post and confirm it's readable and how it will look to others.

Posted - 10/11/2018 : 22:19:32 Show Profile Email Poster Visit TomK's Homepage Reply with Quote
Just some suggestions as it seems some have trouble using the quote feature or making it clear who they are responding to when posting on PW.

1) If you use the quote feature, please make sure your reply comes after the [/quote] command. If you don't do that, your reply becomes part of the text you are quoting and makes it very difficult to figure out what you are saying.

2) If you simply use the "Quick Reply" field at the bottom of the page when viewing a thread, PLEASE make it clear who or what post you are replying to, otherwise it just looks as though you are responding to the previous post.

3) Just above the "Quick Reply" field are links which include "Reply to topic". This is my favorite as it allows you to cut and paste comments you are replying to and using the formatting options to distinguish between quotes and what you write.

Thanks for your consideration.

PS. There is also a "preview" button that allows one to actually look at their post and see if it looks OK before actually posting a reply. It's a nice feature that allows you to look at your post and confirm it's readable and how it will look to others.

I've been turning the quote blue and italicized to easily differentiate and be comprehended by the reader.
EW - you seem to not understand what the "reply with quote" button is...
Most astute people can discern whom is replying to them without the redundant waste of space every post Tom,.
Actually I do understand what it is and have used it. However sometimes I don't want to reprint the entire message, but just the portion I'm addressing.
EW - using a different colored font to quote what you're replying to is an excellent idea. Thank you.
But other astute people can't?
quote:
Originally posted by ElysianWort

..... However sometimes I don't want to reprint the entire message, but just the portion I'm addressing.

Then do what I just did... I added ... in front of the part of your quote that I removed, to show that it isn't all of it....
Yeah, way too much unnecessary quoting goes on. I find myself pruning a lot.

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator