Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
justice, Hawaii style
https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/201...-homicide/

Run over bicyclist and try to cover it up: maximum one year in jail, $2000 fine.

The prosecution asserted throughout the trial the former officer falsely reported the crash when he called it into dispatch as a hit-and-run. Jackson argued Buddemeyer "methodically and thoughtfully" concealed broken car parts in his vehicle and misled fellow officers who responded to the scene by telling them he had hit a pig.

http://www.westhawaiitoday.com/2018/10/1...iolations/

File false tax returns: maximum 3 years in jail, up to $600000 fine.

"The Department will aggressively enforce Hawaii’s tax laws, particularly with those individuals in positions of public trust," Linda Chu Takayama, director for the Department of Taxation, said in a press release. "Those individuals should be held to a higher standard. This will ensure the integrity of a fair tax system where [u]we all pay our share."[/i]
The cop involved in the traffic fatality might have received a higher fine had he hit and killed a bicycling taxpayer with a substantial past due tax balance, with no estate to cover his arrears.

"No one is such a LIAR as the indignant man." Beyond Good & Evil, 1886 - Friedrich Nietzsche
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
If I was on the Jury he would have walked. This is why there are so many hit and runs. People don't plan to bolt when causing an accident but when you add up the trauma, shock, shame, disbelief, fear, guilt and more, they DO often behave in a disassociate manner and run.
"If I was on the Jury he would have walked. ...People don't plan to bolt when causing an accident but...when you add up the trauma, shock, shame, disbelief, fear, guilt and more, they DO often behave in a disassociate manner and run."

Fair point, but what about the reckless driving that caused the accident? No penalty?
Mark I think I read that the sun was in his eyes, and witnesses reported the cyclist would ride in the middle of the road. Add to that the officer was on a strange schedule that didn't seem to allow for sleep. Definitely something fishy about that schedule. Early morning shift then return for a graveyard? He had called in sick the previous day, wonder how many of these almost doubles had been previously scheduled for him?
He said he hit a pig. The irony.
So basically this guy kills a someone on the road, lies about it, covers it up, and get a slap on the wrist. I'm not huge on retributive justice, but come on. What does this make the family think? That their loved one was so worthless that the man who killed him and tried to hide it is essentially unpunished? "May serve up to one year." What do you want to bet this guy serves no time at all.
Punatic007,

"Mark I think I read that the sun was in his eyes, and witnesses reported the cyclist would ride in the middle of the road."

The sun hadn't risen above the horizon at the time of the collision.
If the officer had just said the guy swerved in front of him, nothing would ever have been made of this. Only because he lied is he even getting this slap on the wrist.
And the reason they lie is because the trauma and shock of accidentally killing someone on their bicycle is so great they disassociate from the event. Try that being a police officer and your work schedule does not allow for you to sleep, as in this case.

Maybe he's always been a liar and irresponsible, or maybe in a state of sleep deprivation he couldn't handle the trauma and disassociated from the event("this isn't happening, I couldn't have just killed someone, must be a mistake"). I vote for the latter.