Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pool opening and schedule
Did anyone go to the pool today? How's the water temp? Hours for now are Tues- Sat. 9-5. Does anyone know if there are classes scheduled yet? I don't want to again procrastinate attending the water aerobics class until the next eruption. Though maybe someone will think to cover the pool next time.
Certainty will be the death of us.
Wonder if they could heat the pool volcanically. Might save some money!
Puna: Our roosters crow first
Good to hear Pahoa pool is back open. I prefer the temp when they don't run the heater. Everyone likes playing in the pool more when it's warm but it's more comfortable to pull distance when they don't heat it. So tho there's magma 2 miles beneath the pool, my opinion is we should not drill in the park.
Pool no heaters working, the shower are tho. Ocen temp has been 77 deg. Mauna kea
-9 deg 6 am wind 107 mph wind chill - 52 deg f

HPP

HPP
Carey was doing classes but her student said she didnt renew her stuff so no classes now

HPP

HPP
No classes until March, per the Pool director... in an email sent to some of my students...
I have yet to be informed on anything, though I called in mid January to ask if there was anything I needed to d o for Pahoa (I was informed that there had yet to be any decision on how the pool classes were to be run, they were planning to have new hires - as the news articles stated)
The other volunteer instructor was asked to renew on opening day... I was already committed to another Cty pool exercise program for Feb... so did not attend opening day...
Have no idea where this student got their info, but it was not from me!
I was just the messenger carey,your student was misinformed. Sorry

HPP

HPP
I had a surreal conversation with a lifeguard at the pool today as I was arrivng in mid-afternoon:
Him: Sorry, we're closing for lunch.
Me: You're closing for lunch at 1:45?
Him: Yes, we'll be open again around 3PM.
Me: Do you always close for lunch at 1:45?
Him: No, it varies from day to day.
ME: So how do I know when the pool will be open?
Him: Well we're open 9-5 except for lunch.
Me: But lunch time changes.
Him: A little bit.
ME: So if I got here at 1PM would the pool be open?
Him: I wouldn't count on it.
Me: Okay so if I wanted to come here and be assured I could actually swim, what hours would that be?
Him: That would be 9AM until 1PM, although once in awhile it's 12:30...

At which point I gave up. I did ask about getting back to an expanded schedule and he said that would be happening beginning of June. I asked if that meant seven days a week all day. He said he doesn't know, doesn't make the decisions.

I gave up and came home. Sure is a nice day for a swim...
Pahoa Pool has a serious problem finding lifeguards. Nobody wants to be an authority figure in what is quite possibly the most anti-authority region in the State of Hawaii. If you think I'm lying, go ask the aquatics folks in the County's parks and recreation department. They have had major struggles trying to find qualified applicants for lifeguard positions. Remember, these are county, union protected positions. It's not simply about "anybody can be a lifeguard...go apply." Even though some of the current Pahoa lifeguards appear to support the notion of "anybody can be a lifeguard." The struggle is real. Be happy that you have a pool...even with ever-changing lunch hours.
Would it stress out the poor lifeguards too much to have them go to lunch at the same time each day?