Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why no access for those isolated by flow?
Since the county opened Red Road, and PGV put in a crossing into their property, why haven't the people who's land, homes and farms, are still isolated by the Leilani flows, especially those along the #132 corridor, not been provided with an access point across the flow?

I understand Harry's need to grandstand. To make a showing, carve a road through the flow so as to open Pohoiki. It made him look good.

I understand Ormat's need to get back to work, and the county and state's vested interest in helping them along the way.

What I do not understand is how that was not immediately followed by at least a temporary road, say from the top of Noni Farms road, to allow access for the folks who have land, vested interests, homes, and such in that isolated kipuka created by the flow?

We saw a lot of fanfare when Harry took care of himself, and opened "in record time" access to the beach "for all." And yes, folks with land accessible from there have had their lives restored. We saw the drone footage and such when Harry took care of PGV with permits issued before anyone even knew they were available. But, by all measures, Harry has done nothing for the rest of the families involved. Why haven't we heard of the celebration of the reestablishment of access for the folks who were the most effected by the eruption last year?

This is a blight on all of us. I have heard excuses like the flows aren't cold enough, and, not enough time has passed, and all sorts of make believe lines that weren't used when Harry wanted to make a political stunt by pulling on people's heart strings. Puna Strong and all that. Lines that were not used when real investment money is involved. But that doesn't amount to a sack of beans when folks are kept unnecessary from their homes. Folks that don't have the money to plow ahead on their own but are dependent on county/state for help. Why haven't they been "made whole" too?
Ormat paid for the privilege using an expedited permitting process called "a donation which has nothing to do with our access road".

Nothing stops other landowners from doing the same.

Note also that nobody is filing lawsuits about this. Clearly it's not that important.
kalakoa please stay out of this !

You don't know anything about what has been going on !

Main reason nothing has happened is Harry's insistence of following an old guideline of his that "No rebuilding of roads can happen until 6 months have passed since the USGS first announced that the eruption is pau."

That means April .

Many people are working behind the scenes to reopen 132.
No rebuilding of roads can happen until 6 months have passed

Unless it's for PGV, or a beach park.

Correct! Silence on the part of those "people working behind the scenes" leads to speculation on the part of the general public. Perhaps they could bother to give an update?
"No rebuilding of roads can happen until 6 months have passed since the USGS first announced that the eruption is pau."

Who said that? Who's policy is it? Just because Harry says so.. is that really what makes the world go round?

ETA: Isn't it time to say take a hike Harry?

That's why I asked the question.

Am I to infer from your response that you do know what is going on? If so, why don't you enlighten us?
Folks that don't have the money to plow ahead on their own but are dependent on county/state for help.

The message I get from this is:

If you can't afford to do it yourself, you shouldn't be living here.
kalakoa, How are you contributing to this topic except to be witty?
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
I'm contributing at least as much as Mayor Kim.
PGV built an access road from an exiting section of highway 132 across land that they lease that is owned by Kapoho Land and Development.
They asked for approval for this from the proper county agency and received that approval.

Rebuilding or cutting a new road across the 132 right of way is something that has to be left up to the county.