Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Puna needs more police?
According to KITV and Russel Ruderman there are sometimes only around 8 officers roving around on patrol in all of Puna? Could that be correct? Puna is huge. Russel said it makes us a target for thieves and other criminals.

"Juergen Canda, a retired police officer, said fewer officers translates to higher crime rates.

“You never see any officers patrolling Puna because they can’t,” he said while highlighting call volume.
"

https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/201...testimony/

"The Hawai‘i Police Department reports a 117% increase in calls for service in Puna in the last decade"

However, not everyone in Puna want more Police:

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2019/0...e-in-puna/

I was trying to find the clip where Russel spoke on this topic. Couldn't locate it.
If the "more police" will investigate crime, deal with squatters, etc., then yes.

Instead, we probably get more speeding and seatbelt tickets to pay for the more police.
I welcome traffic tickets like for speeding and running red lights. Dui checkpoint arrests too are a positive thing. Keep our roads safer. Almost every time I drive I see an idiot doing something stupid, endangering lives with moronic driving choices and I think to myself, "If I were a cop I would ticket that dumbass."
The money for traffic tickets goes straight to the state, and they are not known for being generous in sharing revenue with the Big Island. So there really isn't a financial incentive for writing traffic citations. I think we do need more cops in Puna, but we also need to reform police procedures to get the most out of those we have. Officers have told me on many occasions that too many are dispatched to simple, non-violent incidents and that so many show up at serious traffic accidents that they literally get in each other's way.
I thought tickets were supposed to be a deterrent, not a source of revenue.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
Look no further than the array of fees and surcharges on a traffic ticket, clearly all revenue line-items, most not related to "deterrence".
They need a few more in the district, but how about tasked to jobs not getting done like a burglary detective.
And how about doubling some up in county owned 4x4s to go on dirt roads - because one guy alone is kind of stupid, but five cars driving down a one lane road at a mile per hour ( so they don’t mess up their own car ) is ridiculous
A car theft unit would be great with bait cars. A domestic violence unit would be greatly appreciated by the officers, seems hard for them to switch back and forth btwn being marriage counselors and apprehending dangerous criminals in one shift. More detectives and resources are also greatly needed.

I can't say it is responsible journalism by Big Island Video News to focus in on the fray. Those who profess the solution to poor police management is to create a perfect system first and then bring in more officers to Puna where they are desperately needed now. That video was crazy making.
quote:
Originally posted by ElysianWort

I welcome traffic tickets like for speeding and running red lights. Dui checkpoint arrests too are a positive thing. Keep our roads safer. Almost every time I drive I see an idiot doing something stupid, endangering lives with moronic driving choices and I think to myself, "If I were a cop I would ticket that dumbass."

I think the police would catch more drunks when thy are out patrolling then sitting at a check point that most drunks know that its there

jrw
jrw
Puna absolutely needs more police. If you believe otherwise, you are just not in touch with reality. This is one of the largest districts in the state, whose points touch all the way from Volcano to Kumukahi....Keaau to Kalapana. More police presence is absolutely necessary. Also necessary is a hospital....more school options....more jobs.....more opportunities for people to live and thrive in Puna, etc etc etc. But let's keep it to this police discussion. Having more police is absolutely on the mark at this point. Remember, Puna and Ka'u are greatly underserved regions.