Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hiking Fissure 8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44C4GshBkuA

Has anyone here done this? Is it becoming more acceptable now?
I have some friends arriving soon from the mainland, I'm trying to steer them towards staying in Leilani Estates and it would be great if they could do this hike. Any tips on where to start from?
Caveat would be that Fissure 8 is on private property, as is all of the land around it, so it is not legal UNLESS you have permission to hike on the landowners property....

Are people illegally walking on private property? yes... Is it legal? no! .... Do most of the landowners & people living around fissure 8 WANT your friends walking/parking/ leaving stuff over their/their neighbors property? no!
More importantly Paul, WOULD YOU WANT PEOPLE YOU DO NOT KNOW HIKING ON YOUR PROPERTY? if the answer to that is no, then you have your answer to what is correct, pono
If my property was a lava-filled wasteland then no, I would not mind if people were hiking on it, but maybe that's just me.

Does anyone happen to know who the owner is of the land under Fissure 8? I would like to ask permission.
One of the owners is my new housemate and NO he doesn't think people should be hiking there. There are quite a few properties under there...

Mahalo!
Mahalo!
Paul, you would not mind the liability of having people that you do not know walking over your property??? REALLLY???
It is easy to state what you would think, then given the true reality....

Even people that still own lots in Royal Garden have expressed their desire not to have people hiking all over their land...
They OWN IT & should be given the option, BY ASKING THEM, of what THEY WANT....not what you, or anyone else wants!
Again, if you want to do what is legal, right & pono....
If you do not want to do that, & just do what YOU want, why ask here???!

ETA:Oh & for the owners, yes they are known & one has even been a punawebber...
Easy-peasy to go to the tax info website & look it up...or to go into the way back machine to the days that fissure 8 opened up... it was covered on many social media sites, even here!

You also need to know there is absolutely no way to get to the lava without going over private property that is not a "lava wasteland" .... & it is best not to state that you think that someones property is a "wasteland"... many may think of any of our lots as "wasteland"...heck, esp if in PUNA!
Easy-peasy to go to the tax info website & look it up...

If you do look up the owner’s name and call them, best to keep in mind that what you and your friends may view as a recreational hike might still be considered a tragic loss from the owner’s point of view. I don’t know what the land owner may think, but personally I prefer not to get unsolicited phone calls from people I don’t know asking me for something. Even if it’s just my time.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
The fissure 8 vent & cone covers at least four properties, and the surrounding flow/cinder field and lava channel cover many more.

It's not just a matter of getting permission from one person.

"If my property was a lava-filled wasteland then no, I would not mind if people were hiking on it, but maybe that's just me."

Why not post your address on here and let a few come by to hike on your land so we can verify if it's lava filled or not ?
I can understand not traipsing all over fissure 8, but why couldn't a person using a GPS navigation app just follow the road down.. all the GPS apps still show the original rds.
"They OWN IT & should be given the option, BY ASKING THEM, of what THEY WANT....not what you, or anyone else wants!"

This is why I asked who owns it and how I can contact them. But then I was told here that I'm not allowed to contact them.

Excuse me for asking a question!