Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ruderman lies about PGV
https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/201...27ea64ca6d

This is an absolute lie regarding the cost of electricity from PGV:

“… Big Island ratepayers will be paying a lot more if they come back online than if they don’t. That has to be considered,” Ruderman said.
First the refusal to explain his now deleted anti-vaccine social media post, and now this. Ruderman is beginning to reveal some serious character issues.
Darn that's sad to hear. Being a politician seems to corrupt no matter the person. I like him and that info hurts a bit.
That damn Russell! Advocating a public discussion about this is outrageous and unreasonable! Suggesting that a Geothermal plant doesn't save us millions in electric bills is total BS! We've always paid much less per kilowatt hour than......uh...........well.......uh....somebody.
From the link:

The PUC’s letter said that despite HELCO’s plans to reconstruct the lines “in the same general area of the old lines,” the law requires commission approval “to place, construct, erect or otherwise build” the lines.

Did this happen after Iselle?
My electric power was back up and running in four days. Did the commission fast track approval for hundreds of miles of downed poles and wires throughout Puna? Not just a couple of miles of transmission lines so PGV can reconnect with HELCO?

Was there a public hearing, and commission approval process during the 2014 lava flow, when the power infrastructure in East Hawaii could have been impacted, so 5 miles of Beach Road between HPP & Hawaiian Beaches were widened, graded, and electric poles and power lines were installed where none existed before?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
No mystery here: Kim declared that "we have to wait until six months" -- not because the lava has to cool, but so that the emergency declarations could expire, thus requiring full process/approvals for everything, not just the roads.
At the risk of feeding a troll, I'm going to respond to snorkle's last post. While honest discussion might be acceptable, outright lying about the financial implications of restarting PGV by a "leader" is just plain wrong. From the article:

"The letter said the commission “is not taking a position on whether PGV will, in fact, come back online, but rather is stating that if PGV does come back online, it should be under circumstances that take advantage of this opportunity to benefit HELCO ratepayers” by lowering the costs of electricity."

That doesn't sound like "costs more" to me. Also, PGV had previously agreed to abandon the old "avoided cost" formula for their power which did not result in consumer savings.

Ruderman is wrong in his assumptions and statement.
In no one's lifetime has PGV "lowered" the costs of electricity.......Who exactly is lying?
In no one's lifetime has PGV "lowered" the costs of electricity.......Who exactly is lying?
------------------
PGV has asked that the PUC avoided cost of oil rule be dismissed and allow them to sell at a reduced rate.

One might ask, "Why would they desire to sell electricity at a lower rate?"

If they are allowed to sell the electricity at a lower rate, any new competitors wanting to build a power plant to sell to HELCO (think burning Eucalyptus trees) would have to be able to match or be very close in price or the PUC would deny them the plant as not being in the consumers' best interest. It is a smart move on PGV's part as they have stated that they would be happy to sell at around 10-11 cents per KWH. None of the other renewable technologies including solar, can come anywhere near this. The PUC would then be able to allow PGV to expand production.
“...Big Island ratepayers will be paying a lot more if they come back online than if they don’t. That has to be considered,” Ruderman said.

So, for the reading-comprehension-challenged among us, I'd like to point out that the ellipsis "..." means that something was left out of the sentence.

The omitted phrase could have been anything from "I've been told" to "I believe" to "What if".

Of course, this takes all the fun out of making an ass-umption so you can wave your righteous indignation around.