Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hilo town really stinks now
I had dinner in town then walked around. I noticed a strong unpleasant smell. It smelled like old garbage and not it any particular area either but around the whole town. The town never smelled this bad before at least in my memory. What's going on?
Which part of town? Was it low tide?

HPP

HPP
We've had a lot of sunny days and weak trade winds the past week...
quote:
Originally posted by dan d

Which part of town? Was it low tide?

HPP

The whole town in general stinks of garbage from Mcdonalds to the shops along bayfront. Before going to town, I went to Liliuokalani gardens and noticed the tide was unusually high. I don't think this has anything to do with it. I was thinking it could have something to do with that homeless encampment that sprung up near the farmers market but how could that make the whole town smell?
He who smelt it dealt it! [Big Grin]
If you walk downtown after dark, say from Farmer's Market to Waianuenue, you'll see homeless camped in many doorways. There about about 20 in this 1/4 mile span alone.

Many more homeless on the streets going up the hill.

I presume (hope) officials are keeping the restroom by the bus station open 24 hours now. And we can hope every camping homeless who needs to use a restroom at 3 a.m. on a rainy night will make the trudge to the bus station.
Stopped shopping on bay front because of the gag you stink coming from around the bus station
I recently stayed downtown on Oahu. At least Hilo gets more rain to rinse some of the stink away. Chinatown was worse, with about 2-3 people per block passed out on the sidewalk at 5:00pm. I can't imagine what it must be like after dark. I ate at a Mexican restaurant and every time somebody came into the restaurant the open door allowed a wall of stink to billow in.
The whole town in general stinks of garbage from Mcdonalds to the shops along bayfront.

I have an idea as to maybe why. I'm starting a new thread for it. #full of trash
Terminalia chebula; A Homeless tree located near the bus station has a noxious odor when blooming.