Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kalaeloa - potential to alleviate HNL crunch?
A few days ago, I was on an aviation web-site and was drawn to this rather long but well-written post from someone who obviously has a background in the airline business, etc.

The subject matter was how Southwest Airlines (SWA) could best serve Hawaii, especially underserved routes and underserved airports.

The person was strongly encouraging the utilization for Kalaeloa Airport (formerly Barbers Point) as a viable alternative to HNL, particularly for inter-island flights. The post went on to point out that HNL was nearing full capacity, and that it would be a smart move for SWA to target Kalaeloa Airport for future growth, possibly long-haul flights to the mainland.

That being said, would Puna residents consider flying SWA into (or through) Kalaeloa if it meant avoiding HNL? I understand that mainland flights to/from ITO is the ideal scenario, but perhaps that's for another thread.

Todd
Todd
Did the article say how flights, interisland, mainland, and between carriers would connect between HNL & Barbers Point? Shuttle bus? Would you have to go through TSA twice if you traveled between airports?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
They should fly most of their mainland flights into and out of Hilo and fly a fleet of ATRs or whatever to connect the other ports and integrated for inter-island service. Hilo could be their Hawaii hub. There is plenty of unused real estate and people who want the jobs. Not much different than the state's plan of using Kona for all the new international flights.
Hilo could be their Hawaii hub.

This would make more sense than further congesting Oahu airspace.
It's a little under an hour flight and Hawaiian has the best on time record in the industry.
I don't see a problem!
Let’s ask Keaukaha residents, Hilo business owners,employees and keaukaha school how they feel about more flights coming in and out of Hilo. Puna residents have spent so much time complaining of helicopter noise which is nothing compared to commercial aircraft flying overhead.

Kona is a completely different story due to location of airport. Suggesting Hilo is absurd.
Hawaiian has the best on time record because Hawaii doesn't have to plow runways or de-ice aircraft.
quote:
Originally posted by islandlvng

Let’s ask Keaukaha residents, Hilo business owners,employees and keaukaha school how they feel about more flights coming in and out of Hilo. Puna residents have spent so much time complaining of helicopter noise which is nothing compared to commercial aircraft flying overhead.

Kona is a completely different story due to location of airport. Suggesting Hilo is absurd.

People in Puna didn't buy next to an airport.

Buyer to perform own due diligence. Hint: the airport was there first.
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

Buyer to perform own due diligence. Hint: the airport was there first.

Not really guys - some/most of the land that the airport is on is/was DHHL lands. Back in the bad old days, it was easier to divert DHHL lands to other State "needs". There were protests back in the '70's or '80's by the DHHL beneficiaries over the use of their lands for the airport. I don't recall how that conflict was resolved - but many/most of the Keaukaha lots are DHHL lots and so the residents of those homes didn't have a real attractive option: take the offered lease, or be passed over and maybe never get a lot to build on.