Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nematodes/Termites
We have an ongoing problem w/dry wood termites in our couch. We’ve tried lots of different sprays (even drilling & spraying inside), but the termites keep coming back. Has anyone had success with nematodes (the internet recommends these)?
Try this spray.

http://www.4timeout.com/time-out-termites.html

Nematodes are for garden use.

They keep coming back because the wood it's constructed with is desirable for them. I'd consider replacing the couch.
Thanks, Obie, for the “Time Out” recommendation! Do you happen to know anyone who’s tried this stuff? Do you know if it’s available on Island?#129300;
I bought it at either Ace or Home Depot.

We had a guy come from Terminix to look at our problem and he saw that can and said they use the same stuff.

Stuck the hose in a hole that the termites made and next day a hundred dead termites on the floor.
Thanks, Obie!
Find someone who is tenting their house & bring it there. Been there, done that.
A friend of mine on Kauai just had his house tented by a company (I don't know which one but Orkin advertises this option) that uses heat to kill the termites. A quick glance on the internet says you need to get your couch to 120 degrees for 35 minutes to kill them all. Another quick glance on the internet says that on an 80 degree day the inside of a closed car can reach 130 to 172 degrees. If you know somebody with a pickup truck with a canopy that will fit your couch, parked in the sun for an afternoon may solve your problem.

ETA: Or maybe an attic (typically 150-160 degrees, though I bet a steel roof variety directly on rafters like most of Puna gets hotter).
What about a handheld steamer? I bought one at Costco that puts out a ton of steam before the 4 ounce or so reservoir is empty. The steamer was about $40. No moving the couch outside.

"Pursue some path, however narrow and crooked, in which you can walk with love and reverence."......Journal, 18 October 1855 - Henry D. Thoreau
"Pursue some path, however narrow and crooked, in which you can walk with love and reverence."......Journal, 18 October 1855 - Henry D. Thoreau
Wrap it in a tarp tripple bomb it

Nits spra is good

HPP

HPP