Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
blank check for the bus system
https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/201...us-system/

Mass Transit Administrator Brenda Carreira is asking the County Council to fast-track approval for a three-year contract for Hele-On bus service, although she doesn’t plan to disclose the vendor or the contract amount until after the matter is approved.

The current driver vendor, Polynesian Adventure Tours, made almost twice as much on the emergency fill-ins as it did on its regular driver contract during the fiscal year ending June 30.

The regular bus driver contract paid the privately owned tour company $2.86 million, compared to $5.22 million for the fill-in buses, according to the county Finance Department. The second vendor, Roberts Hawaii Tours, was paid $1.36 million for fill-in buses during the same period, bringing total emergency fill-in bus contracts to $6.58 million.

In comparison, the entire Mass Transit budget that year was $15.7 million. New buses run from $300,000 to $600,000 each.

Carreira previously worked as operations manager for both Roberts Hawaii Tours and Polynesian Adventures prior to joining the county Nov. 1.

Carreira said she’s required only to tell the council her budget can handle the contract amount, rather than share details of the contract.

"Carreira previously worked as operations manager for both Roberts Hawaii Tours and Polynesian Adventures prior to joining the county Nov. 1."

Sounds like she is still working for them.
For what it matters all county officials and employees are required to disclose conflicts if interest. Does it happen? Not much.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
I walk into the bank give me a loan. I will tell how much and what I am going to do with it after you just give me a blank check. If the county does this it a total miss use of or tax money

jrw
jrw
Wow, this county runs like any well organized mafia.
yep, even Detroit could learn a few tricks from hawaii..
quote:
Originally posted by Punatic007

Wow, this county runs like any well organized mafia.

Well, except a well organized mafia actually gets things accomplished...
a well organized mafia actually gets things accomplished...

Worst TV spinoff ever:
Sopranos: Hawaii County
Starring Harry Soprano
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Season One, First episode:

"Secrets of the Mauna Kea Protests Revealed"
This whole affair sounds like something out of Alice in Wonderland..
Time for a full investigation into the Mass Transit Authority.
Basic stuff: How many buses do they have, and what is the age of the fleet? How many are in running order? Average mileage per bus and cost per mile to operate? Why are there buses which are allegedly inoperable?

Qualification and performance of the repair and maintenance crews..would it be less expensive to outsource the whole operation, or to subsidize a private contractor to run it? What alternate fuel sources make sense?

A full review of routes and frequency of operation, including how to service the Airports and all major areas of habitation.

Probably the investigation should be Federal to at least give some appearance of impartiality.